You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Feature Request: Frequency list HTML page to be able access list in VR

Dion Rowney

Dion Rowney
Posted
Posted

I use VR and wear glasses which makes taking the glasses off all the time to read the vPilot frequency list is irritating and ti,e consuming.  I was considering making a plugin window like the FSKneeboard that simply shows a web page with the active controllers in the area and their frequencies, thus making it easier to adjust the in sim radio radio frequencies (this is the info you already show on the left panel).  

I could either try to replicate the list with you display with the controllers and frequencies using VATSIM APIs and math or thought it might be easier if I ask if you can expose the list as a simple web page via a web port on 127.0.0.1 when vPilot is started whoch may be easier since you already calculate and correlate that info.

Would you be willing to add this info to the wish list?

thanks

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Adding a web API is something I've considered in the past, but there just hasn't been enough of a need for it. It may happen, but I wouldn't wait around for it. You would be better off using VATSIM APIs for this, or writing a vPilot plugin. The plugin system is not well-documented, but there is enough info to get you started here:

https://vpilot.rosscarlson.dev/PluginInstructions.txt

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Dion Rowney
Posted
Posted

I was considering your idea but didnt want to have to write the code that determined which controllers were available based on my location as the VATSIM API didnt seem to have anything that would return that info.  I was going to have to reinvent your wheel logic of determining this and thought if you provided that somehow then I could not duplicate code.

I think its ultimately better to only have 1 source for this but I can duplicate your logic too.

It would be appreciated if you were able to share your logic / algorithm / code for this piece as it is the area I am unsure of the most.  Then I could work on building the rest.

dion

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

There is no logic/algorithm in vPilot for this. I just show all controllers that the server tells me about. So the logic to determine which controllers are in range is on the server side. I know that it is based on the aircraft altitude and the type of controller. CTR controllers have a longer range than APP, TWR, etc.

Can you do a vPilot plugin?

Dion Rowney
Posted
Posted

I did not realize that VATSIM was only returning the list of "my" controllers as I was just connecting to the public API unauthenticated getting ALL.  It makes so much more sense that once authenticated it could just show my the limited list based on my location.  

If this is retrievable from VATSIM then I wouldnt need to integrate as a plugin.

Thanks Ross for pointing me in the correct direction.

dion

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Dion Rowney said:

If this is retrievable from VATSIM then I wouldnt need to integrate as a plugin.

You would need to have an actual client connection to the server in order to get data on in-range controllers in the way that vPilot does.

Dion Rowney
Posted
Posted

This is true I suppose.

Maybe Im still on the fence about the best direction and will have to experiment a bit