You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Airliners with quality FMC

Claudiu Dragomir

Claudiu Dragomir
Posted
Posted

I’ve been flying the MSFS2020, Working Title Citation CJ4 and it is a lot of fun. Next step would be airliners.

The stock airliners in MSFS, I’ve been told, are trash, so wouldn’t try that. I’ve flown the FlyByWire A320neo. Big “thank you” to the FlyByWire developers for their amazing work so far.

However, the experience has been immensely frustrating:

• Most of the time, when inserting an arrival, the flight plan becomes a jumbled mess and the plane flies towards a random waypoint;
  • Yesterday, I was in heading mode towards the localizer, pressed ‘LOC’ and the plane turned away from the localizer;
  • When the plane reaches the DECEL point, the remaining STAR is deleted and it goes direct to the IAF

It is very “immersion breaking” to the pilot and, I imagine, even worse for controllers to see how a plane suddenly turns in a random direction and starts looping around in the their TMA.

What quality airliners, payware or free, are out there, for MSFS?

What is the experience in other simulators (P3D, XPlane)?

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

At the moment you tried the two best msfs aircraft already that have an fms.

for me in p3d you have majestic, pmdg, fslabs and fly the maddog. These are top tier addon makers. Below 5gat you have qualitywings and aerosoft to name a few. Xplane does have some good alternatives but still lacking in the airliner department if you want in depth simulations. However you have to pay price for this investment.

• Thanks 1

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

X-Plane has the Zibo 737 and FlightFactor 757 and 767 which are all pretty decent quality (each with pros and cons, of course, but certainly operable on VATSIM).

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

I have been using XPlane since my computer can’t run fs2020. In addition to what Robert mentioned, there’s the ToLiss series of Airbii aircraft as well as a comparable MD80. All are well simulated. Working SIDs and STARs enroute the whole 9 yards. 

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

For P3D and FSX, There is an amazing addon fmc for any cockpit.  ISG.  It made flying every aircraft realistic.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Magnus Aabye
Posted
Posted
On 6/22/2021 at 9:48 AM, Claudiu Dragomir said:

Most of the time, when inserting an arrival, the flight plan becomes a jumbled mess and the plane flies towards a random waypoint;

the thing to do in this case is just go directly to the next waypoint in the FMC, its also a problem in the default A320neo

On 6/22/2021 at 9:48 AM, Claudiu Dragomir said:

Yesterday, I was in heading mode towards the localizer, pressed ‘LOC’ and the plane turned away from the localizer;

have you made sure the ILS frequency is correct? sometimes it auto fills in, sometimes you gotta enter it manually... i'd use flightplandatabase.com/tools & double check to see if it matches.

Claudiu Dragomir
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Magnus Aabye said:

the thing to do in this case is just go directly to the next waypoint in the FMC, its also a problem in the default A320neo

Indeed. The correct procedure:

1. Note current inbound
  2. Set heading mode
  3. Insert the approach/STAR/transition
  4. Set direct to previous inbound
  5. Go back to managed heading

It’s strange, but OK. Unfortunately, it only works the first time. If there’s a need to change something, for example select a parallel runway, then the flight plan becomes something I cannot understand: some random combination of old, new and invisible waypoints.

13 hours ago, Magnus Aabye said:

have you made sure the ILS frequency is correct? sometimes it auto fills in, sometimes you gotta enter it manually... i'd use flightplandatabase.com/tools & double check to see if it matches.

Yeah, I always enter the frequency manually. The localizer line and name seemed correct. Might still have been my fault, I’m not sure. It only happened once.

The FlyByWire team is working on their own flight plan system, from what I’ve read. Similar or the same to what Working Title used. There’s some hope for us MSFS simmers in the future, I guess.