You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Scraping The Rust Off!

Ryan Renz

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted (edited)

I got my simulator back together.  Trying to get online to check everything out.

Had to reactivate my VATSIM ID, my password is just random, I am not sure if I can set my own password?

I'm still using FS9 on a Windows XP system.  I am using FSInn for my online client, will all that work?  I am having difficulty connecting to VATSIM online.

Also, I should verify if I'm on the best server for my address.

Thank you for any assistance.

Edited by Ryan Renz

In My (virtual) Hangar:

C172 :: C-FXMY

M20M :: C-GRYR

Baron 58 :: C-TVUY

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome back! Yes, things have changed. FS9 and XP are still OK for the moment but you need to use Swift now instead of FSInn. Audio has improved remarkably due to Audio for Vatsim (AfV) and AFAIK Swift has that already installed. There's a Swift forum under Pilot Software which is useful. That forum also helps with multi-PC setups, if you have that.

Have fun, fly well, enjoy!

Re the server, it doesn't really matter now: they are all connected.

Edited by Alistair Thomson
  • Thanks 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

That's what I'm learning, just wanted to confirm that was the situation.  I have downloaded Swift, not sure if it installed properly or how to proceed from here... I'll be working on it.

Guess I will uninstall FSInn then.

Thank you for your speedy reply!

In My (virtual) Hangar:

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

That's what I'm learning, just wanted to confirm that was the situation.  I have downloaded Swift, not sure if it installed properly or how to proceed from here... I'll be working on it.

Guess I will uninstall FSInn then.

I probably don't need FWInn either?

What about FSFDT?

Thank you for your speedy reply!

In My (virtual) Hangar:

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

Nevermind, I sorted out all out, FSFDT is all the same program.

I'm uninstalling it.  Not I just need to work on Swift; seems it doesn't like XP very much.

In My (virtual) Hangar:

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ryan Renz said:

I just need to work on Swift; seems it doesn't like XP very much.

I think it will work OK: apparently it's the only pilot client still working on XP/ FS9.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

Thanks Alistair,

I tried installing it but there's errors, I have a topic started in the appropriate forum now.

In My (virtual) Hangar:

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

I believe swift needs a minimum of windows7 

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Re, XP with FS9, there's a thread in the Swift forum called 'Swift and FS9" in which Philip Cohen discusses that, including W7 and XP.

Edited by Alistair Thomson

Alistair Thomson

===

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

Yes, I did read parts of that.  Unfortunately it didn't help as he didn't seem to have problems installing the program, only in getting everything to work together.

Perhaps he installed an older version that worked; I'll have to look for earlier variants and try that.

In My (virtual) Hangar:

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

Are we certain that FSInn no longer works with FS9 etc? I was under the impression that it still works but is no longer supported???The difference between "Not working" and "not supported"/ I do not use any of the programs mentioned but thought it worth asking the question🙂

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

FSINN and Squawkbox are no longer approved (largely because they are also no longer supported by their developers and therefore cannot be updated to accommodate technical changes to the network).

They therefore will not connect to the network.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

There's now a parallel thread posted by the OP in the Swift forum which is discussing the (unsupported) possibility of a setup with FS9/Swift/XP/multi-machine. Maybe these threads should be merged? They both begin with the same question from the same OP, and he decided (correctly) to ask it in the Swift forum when I pointed out that FSInn was dead.

Alistair Thomson

===