You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Uncontrolled airspace

Pierre COLET

Pierre COLET
Posted
Posted

Hello.  I will try to keep it simple.  I am new and would like to know what it is like when an uncontrolled airspace switches to controlled airspace when we are already in that airspace.  In this case, it is not me who fits into his space, but it is he who “fits” around me.  I hope that makes sense.  It might sound a little silly as a question, but I prefer to have as much information as possible before I start.  Thank you

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted

I would think you will get "please contact me on 123.456" from ATC soon.

ACH2118.jpg

Pierre COLET
Posted
Posted

Okay thank you

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted (edited)

It is your responsability to contact the controller when they log in.

B3(a) - Pilots shall monitor their flights at all times. It is the responsibility of the pilot to check for, and make timely contact with appropriate air traffic controllers. This includes making prompt contact when requested to do so.

Edited by Kirk Christie

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Pierre COLET said:

I am new and would like to know what it is like when an uncontrolled airspace switches to controlled airspace when we are already in that airspace.

In principle, it is your responsibility to monitor whether a controller comes online for the airspace you're flying in. Most pilot clients should have a list of controllers within your range, so if you see a controller pop up, tune to their frequency and contact them.

You don't need to keep a constant watch, but you should make a habit of keeping an eye on that list every couple minutes.

In practice, many controllers will proactively send "Contact-Me" messages to all pilots in their airspace when logging in, so chances are this will happen before you get a chance to call in. That's fine, and it doesn't mean you did anything wrong. You just shouldn't depend on it; even if you're not getting a Contact-Me, you're still expected to call in.

23.png

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Pierre COLET said:

it is not me who fits into his space, but it is he who “fits” around me

Just a comment about that. You are not actually flying in uncontrolled airspace: in RW it would be controlled airspace, and would be marked as such in charts.

VATSIM has the arrangement that controlled airspace is frequently not manned by ATC. So, not exactly controlled, but certainly controllable. If VATSIM ATC "pops up" while you are in that airspace, you are, and have been, in his or her airspace, not the other way round. :)

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.