You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Definition of "live training resources"

Posted
Posted (edited)

Posting this here, as this falls under "definitions".

The term "live training resources" appears in points 6.05(j)(ix) and 9.01(e) and I believe that the definition of this term should be expanded in more detail. Whilst I personally understand that in these contexts, the term suggests the use of instructors' time and resources (i.e. mentoring sessions) in order to get a validation, this or a similar way, is how this should be phrased in the policy, as the term "live training resources" can mean many different types of resources and is in my opinion a bit too vague.

Edited by 1341101
  • Like 1

C1-rated controller

Phil Dowling
Posted
Posted

Hey David

What other resource would you define as a "Live training resource" other than instructor/mentor?

Just curious 🙂

Phil

Collin Koldoff
Posted
Posted

I know this is just an interpretation of it, but when I first read "Live training resource" I assumed it meant either sweatbox, the live network or both being used to train a student live.
The sweatbox and the network can be used as a "Live training resource" by definition of the terms.
I do not believe that an instructor/mentor should be labeled as just a resource in this context.  

Phil Dowling
Posted
Posted

Hey Collin.

See your point.  We'd need to have a think around how to reword that.  The intent, I believe, is really directed towards human assets (eg Instructor/mentor time).

What if we changed "Live Training Resource" to "Guided Instruction".  Would that be clearer?

If you have any idea, put them out there 🙂

Phil

• Like 2

Phil Dowling
Posted
Posted

Hey Andreas!

Hope you are well 🙂

No I don't think it is too long.  Let's see what @Matthew Bartelsthinks 🙂

Phil

• Like 1

Collin Koldoff
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Philip Dowling 813710 said:

Hey Collin.

See your point.  We'd need to have a think around how to reword that.  The intent, I believe, is really directed towards human assets (eg Instructor/mentor time).

What if we changed "Live Training Resource" to "Guided Instruction".  Would that be clearer?

If you have any idea, put them out there 🙂

Phil

Sorry, I probably should have stated what I think it should say. 
"Guided Instruction", "Guided Training" or "Live training with training staff" are just a few that I think would better explain than "Live Training Resource"

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

"Not just a CBT and a multiple-choice quiz"

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Matthew Wurzbach
Posted
Posted (edited)

Change "live training resources" to "live training" everywhere and then define live training above it as:

"Live training is defined as formal, live instruction from another person acting as a mentor or instructor for any length of time and in any setting. Live training does not include self-paced, computer-based training; written examinations; policy documentation; or other self-guided learning not requiring the live presence of a mentor or instructor."

Edited by Matthew Wurzbach
  • Like 5

Rob Nabieszko
Posted
Posted

"Live training" needs to be properly defined because it is used in 7.07b and by context there it means the network but not sweatbox. But sweatboxes still require an instructor to operate, using up the person as a resource. So is sweatbox training "live"? The document needs to define it explicitly and not leave it up to assumptions and abuse.

• Like 2

Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3

Director of Training, VATCAN

[email protected]

18.png

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Matthew Wurzbach said:

Change "live training resources" to "live training" everywhere and then define live training above it as:

"Live training is defined as formal, live instruction from another person acting as a mentor or instructor for any length of time and in any setting. Live training does not include self-paced, computer-based training; written examinations; policy documentation; or other self-guided learning not requiring the live presence of a mentor or instructor."

Love it. I've added it verbatim to the definitions section.

• Like 2

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Matthew Bartels said:

Love it. I've added it verbatim to the definitions section.

Perfect! Thanks a lot!

C1-rated controller

Thomas Hawke
Posted
Posted

As a real world controller,  I would hope that we could expand this type of online training to events.  There could be a great deal of valuable training during events, or even, create a "Training Event",   (staffing permitting) .   

• Like 1

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

That’s wholly possible as written. An event not necessarily need an event endorsement.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"