You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

7.06 Training Requirement – Minor Aerodromes / Airspace

Martijn Rammeloo

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

Paragraphs 7.08(b) and 7.07(b) describe the training requirements for both major and restricted aerodromes / airspace. However, paragraph 7.06(b), concerning minor aerodromes / airspace is rather vague. Is sweatbox training allowed? Practical examinations?

Kind regards,

Martijn

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

7.09 really is what deals with this.  You need an ATS rating to control minors. You only get that via your training.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Matthew Bartels said:

7.09 really is what deals with this.  You need an ATS rating to control minors. You only get that via your training.

Thanks, but I'm still a bit confused. I understand the training part, but the examination part is unclear to me. A specific example: is a S2 CPT allowed on a minor airfield? 

If yes, then why are practical examinations on restricted airfields not allowed, as per 7.07(b)?

Martijn

Emma Pollak
Posted
Posted

The way I am reading it is that you may not require practical training for a restricted airfield endorsement. You could do practical training on a restricted airfield, as long as it is not for the purpose of obtaining a restricted airfield endorsement.

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

What we’re  trying to get at here is that we don’t want you to keep a controller from controlling by requiring additional training beyond what is really necessary.

If you can certify on a major or restricted without it taking longer than it would on a minor, that would be fine

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Matthew Bartels said:

What we’re  trying to get at here is that we don’t want you to keep a controller from controlling by requiring additional training beyond what is really necessary.

If you can certify on a major or restricted without it taking longer than it would on a minor, that would be fine

Still confused... 

Perhaps, training on a minor will be shorter than on a major, but it is obvious that 'enough is enough'. Nothing new there.

However, my question is specifically about the examination part: are we allowed to certify a minor aerodrome student with a CPT, for example to obtain an S2 rating? Or is it 'just' training and he/she is good to go?

Martijn

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

Award of the rating requires a CPT. So yes, a CPT would be conducted on a minor in such a case.

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Matthew Bartels said:

Award of the rating requires a CPT. So yes, a CPT would be conducted on a minor in such a case.

Great, thanks!

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Matthew Bartels said:

Are all other airports than major/restricted will get minor rating, or is it 4th rank (after major, restricted, and "normal" in that case)? 

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

VATSIMer since 2009, IRL pilot rated.

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

There are three. Anything that is not Major or Restricted is Minor.

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Matthew Bartels said:

There are three. Anything that is not Major or Restricted is Minor.

That makes sense, but wanted to clarify, thanks. 

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

VATSIMer since 2009, IRL pilot rated.

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

@David Kirchner
(I am moving this to this topic, as it concerns minor airfields only, not restricted airfields/airspace)

In the original topic, you described a training flow on a major airfield. Nothing new there.

However, what about the following flow:

Training up to S2 CPT at minor airport --> practical exam to achieve S2 at minor airport --> Training up to S3 CPT at minor airport --> practical exam to achieve S3 at minor airport. I am calling this a 'minor-career'. 

Looking forward to your response!

Martijn

Greg Barber
Posted
Posted

Martijn,

Not sure what your question is, but the flow you describe seems fine.  However can someone please explain what CTP is (I assume it's come weird acronym for "Practical Examination") as this abbreviation is not defined in the policy.

Greg Barber

VATPAC3 - Director ATC Training & Standards

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Greg Barber said:

However can someone please explain what CTP is (I assume it's come weird acronym for "Practical Examination") as this abbreviation is not defined in the policy.

CPT = Controller Practical Test, GCAP refers to this as "practical examination".

• Thanks 1