You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Airspace under S1 Rating

Rob Nabieszko

Rob Nabieszko
Posted
Posted

I am going to continue to poke the bear here with another one I would like to disagree with.

Should "Airspace knowledge" be in the S1 rating or moved to the S2 rating?

Since the S1 is all about DEL and GND, I don't think these controllers will benefit very much from learning airspace classifications. S2 is where control of airspace really begins, so this is probably where airspace should be taught.

I am trying hard to move some things out of S1 because I feel like the knowledge requirement for S1 is extremely onerous at this point. There is so much to learn at this stage and S2 has very little theoretical knowledge to learn.

Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3

Director of Training, VATCAN

[email protected]

18.png

Posted
Posted (edited)

This is another example of an FAA thing that matters within the FAA but doesn't outside of it. Yet another example of why these things should be regulated on a local level and not a global level, because places are different and we have seen this, in particular with the FAA rules. 

The VFR clearances that you give out as DEL and GND vary depending on whether the aircraft is departing a class C or class D, or even a class B airport within the FAA, so airspace classification is something that is useful for S1s to know. However, in Europe and within pretty much most airspaces outside of the US, this isn't something that is important and in my view, it would be quite a waste of time and resources to teach S1s airspace classification. 

This is a crucial difference between US and non-US and should 100% be changed, so perhaps this should be rephrased to something along the lines of "Demonstrates an understanding of different Airspace Classes if this is relevant to DEL and GND operations" or something along those lines.

Edited by 1341101
  • Like 2

C1-rated controller

• 2 weeks later...
David Zhong
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't say that this is a US-specific requirement. Most places will organise their airspace in the classic inverted wedding cake shape which makes it relevant to the day-to-day work of an S1 controller. But this is also fundamental aviation knowledge that any controller should have at least a basic (if not working) understanding of.

David Zhong

• 2 weeks later...
Rob Nabieszko
Posted
Posted
On 8/6/2021 at 11:46 PM, David Zhong said:

But this is also fundamental aviation knowledge that any controller should have at least a basic (if not working) understanding of.

While I agree with that statement in principle, one of the goals of GCAP is to tear down barriers to training, not build them up.

At the end of the day, there is too much material being put on the S1 level. Especially things like airspace. In many places, airspace does not impact the S1 controller at all. Their job will be the same for every pilot regardless of the overlying airspace classes. So why require students to learn something that is not relevant and will be forgotten by the time it is relevant? Move the airspace "requirement" to S2 at least. Spread around the knowledge to different levels. Our S1s have enough to learn.

And for those divisions where it is relevant, then teach it at the S1 level. Just don't make it a requirement that we all have to teach it at that point. We will teach it in our division when it is relevant.

• Like 1

Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3

Director of Training, VATCAN

[email protected]

18.png