You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

My thoughts on the 20th Anniversary of VATSIM

Carlos Barranco

Carlos Barranco
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wrote this originally as a message at the VATSIM Community Discord.

20 years of VATSIM... it's perfectly clear that the network is older than me 🤣 (I'm 18)
Things must have changed a lot since 2001... back then, there were no broadband Internet connections, no "high-end" PC's, no Velocity, no AFV... and the planes within the simulators (both the own plane and the model matching ones) looked like LEGO planes. Not to talk about the scenery...
20 years later, we have Internet connections of up to 1 Gbps (at least here at Spain), PC's that are so powerful that look like monsters, AFV, hyper-realistic planes (e. g. PMDG) with nearly all systems replicated, and can barely be differed from the real thing, advanced model matching, sceneries where you can even find your own home (see FS2020)... and Velocity is on the way!
I'm pretty sure that the VATSIM Founders (and the veteran members) can be proud of the evolution of the network during these years.
Sure, I can't speak from my own knowledge, I've been a VATSIM Member for one year by now. But Internet exists, and there is plenty of information about the past, and there are testimonies from veteran members that perfectly illustrate the evolution of the network.
I hope that this network continues to evolve and to grow for the next 20 years (and beyond), and I am really looking forward to what the future has to offer to the Virtual Air Traffic Simulation Network.
Congratulations to the Founders, BoG, and Staff for their work during these 20 years.

I invite everyone to continue this topic with their own thoughts.

Edited by Carlos Barranco
Changing "Any veteran VATSIM Member" to "everyone" for better inclusion.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carlos B

CID: 1498253

spacer.png

Mike Teague
Posted
Posted

what occurs to me (i was around since like 1999, when vatsim was still SATCO), is the network was just as impressive back then as it is now, even if the planes and scenery weren't as advanced. the basic idea was the same, the knowledge is the same.  also, people forget, the sim (fs98, fs2000, etc) were state of the art for the time. so it's always been cutting edge. its frankly quite amazing we were basically doing the exact same thing we do today but over 28.8kbps modems.

but the biggest and best change for me, is the fact that now we have aircraft with full fmc's and the actual nav data that allow us to use current charts (and being able to easily update airport scenery to match them).. back when i started the only charts i had were the actual paper enroute charts and terminal procedures books, which hopefully matched your scenery for the most part (as for online charts, maybe you could find a scan of a few approaches on random VA website or something).  current digital charts and nav data (and never having to say "uhh i dont have that star") is literally a dream come true for me.

• Like 2

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

I have a good 6 page, 20-year retrospective post that I'm not gonna use. 😁

Instead, what I am going to say is that no amounts of Pepsi to bribe Harv can say thank you enough to him, Amy, Richard, Richard, GSM, any the other founders and BoG for all of the knowledge gained on this network, the sight of seeing kids use this network as their building blocks to becoming professional pilots (I've known and seen at least 5 firsthand), the positive turnover from seeing controllers on this network become real world controllers, all of the knowledge gained personally and professionally, and most importantly, all of the friends made on this network over the past 20 years. To think that a simulation network that people would think is so niche and wouldn't give a second thought, let alone give 2 weeks to survive let to be here for 20 years and counting is absolutely amazing.

So everyone here from day one and here since yesterday...

Thank you, and here's to 20 years more.

BL.

• Like 3

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Vatsim for me filled a void that my life long interest in flight could not otherwise  be fulfilled. From pointing a plane in a direction on the sim to learning about SIDS STARs and then the various aspects of flight, planning, weather etc and finally to getting my own RW single engine license, during which I Solo’ed, took my friends out, family out, all their first experiences, started from right here. And not to mention the better part of the pandemic days, I am not sure what I would have done if not for this great enjoyment provided to us by the founders. 

A big thank you to the founders and here’s to many more 20s, some of which I hope I can still continue enjoying!!!

• Like 3

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1