You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Had my first flight today and still need some help

Ryan Karnik

Ryan Karnik
Posted
Posted

To the EGLL GRD and DIR controllers @~1300-1430z, thank you for your Patience and understanding!

As the title said, I had my first flight online today and when I landed I celebrated like my 6year old self making his first landing on fs2002. It's been 14 years since I touched a flight sim (x-plane 11) with fs9 being the last, I did have fsx but my poor pc didn't give me the performance it needed to work properly. But it's great to be back and finally give vatsim a go!! 

As you'll can imagine I was a nervous wreck making many errors and atc were extremely helpful and again, thank you! My main take aways: were to have a book to write down instructions, know the airport or have charts ready, and be ready for anything. 

Now I did have some issues and when it came to navigating large airports. Is there a more efficient way to view the airport taxi ways rather than looking through the charts through avitab? And is there a flight planning tool like simbreif that uses aerosoft's fms data? I keep getting the wrong sids/stars (cause simbrief ariac is outdated but in-game I'm good) and it can be a little annoying especially when filed. Maybe some advise or best practices from those alike who saw a slightly cheaper product and weren't diligent enough. 

All in all I was really happy today. I want to thank the community for keeping it together even after all these years and I'm back with my dad as well! Looking forward to it..

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted

So you have chosen Aerosoft over Navigraph? If you had Navigraph  you could use fresh Airac with Simbrief. You could also use their maps on Avitab with automatic location. But I guess you know this now...

You can download UK maps from https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2021-07-15-AIRAC/html/index-en-GB.html so you do not have to squint them through the Avitab.

ACH2118.jpg

Ryan Karnik
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Lauri Uusitalo said:

So you have chosen Aerosoft over Navigraph? If you had Navigraph  you could use fresh Airac with Simbrief. You could also use their maps on Avitab with automatic location. But I guess you know this now...

You can download UK maps from https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2021-07-15-AIRAC/html/index-en-GB.html so you do not have to squint them through the Avitab.

Thanks for sharing. Yeah I chose aerosoft since I was familiar with the name from my fs9 days and mainly cause I could save a few $$ (now I know why navigraph is worth the extra) . Little did I know that it wasn't linked to sim brief. 😔 Currently using chartfox on avitab but it's not ideal when you're in a pickle and using outdated sids/stars, trying to find the right one. 

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

Navigraph is great. You an open up charts on a separate browser window, iPad, (I think Android based tablets too). So you don’t have to look away from the flight in Avitab and have fully access to your charts. Maybe a touch pricey, but worth every penny.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Glad you had a good experience.  For other new pilots reading, I generally recommend NOT choosing the largest, busiest airports on the network to make your first flights from.  But with some patience and willingness to learn, VATSIM is a game-changing addition to your sim flying.  Hope to see and hear you in the skies!

• Thanks 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Ryan Karnik
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Glad you had a good experience.  For other new pilots reading, I generally recommend NOT choosing the largest, busiest airports on the network to make your first flights from.  But with some patience and willingness to learn, VATSIM is a game-changing addition to your sim flying.  Hope to see and hear you in the skies!

I totally agree with this and use my example as a lesson! I initially thought I was okay given that it was "early" for English standards, I was totally familiar with the aircraft, and had tons of experience with it... But the fact that I was a nervous wreck made it even more challenging. The controllers were kind enough to accommodate this nervousness!

To any newbies: don't be afraid to ask and tell atc to give you "special" attention. Also fuel yourself for that!! 😂

William Teale
Posted
Posted

for bonus points, identify yourself as "solo student" in the call.

"Melbourne Centre, DZE C172 solo student, request clearance to YMML"

• Thanks 1