You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Non VATSIM traffic / AI traffic in sim?

Robert Wakefield

Robert Wakefield
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I've probably misunderstood, but as far as I was aware - when you connect to VATSIM via MSFS20 all the traffic you see is also connected to VATSIM and therefore (in theory) on frequency.

Have I got this wrong?  The last couple of flights I was seeing a lot of activity in and around Manchester AP which didn't seem to be in communication, so I wasn't sure whether I was seeing non-VATSIM traffic, or AI traffic (less likely as I think AI is switched off in my settings. 

So if it IS the case that there is non-VATSIM mixed in with VATSIM traffic - how do I deal with the extra traffic doing weird things on the runway/taxiways etc.  I'm not sure whether to react to it or ignore, as it would also be impossible to tell who is in communication and who isn't.  If I was to react to it, I would never have been able to land as I would have to do a go around more or less every approach made. 

Does anyone know, or have any ideas?

Thanks

Rob

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

I'm still on FSX, but it certainly sounds like you are still getting AI traffic in the sim.    If AI is truly off, then the only traffic you will see when connected to Vatsim will be Vatsim traffic.    I know that doesn't solve your issue, but can only suggest you root around MSFS a bit more to double check AI is off.   Perhaps check out MSFS support forums in case there is a known issue .

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Robert Wakefield said:

all the traffic you see is also connected to VATSIM and therefore (in theory) on frequency

All VATSIM traffic will almost certainly be on a frequency, but not heard by you on your frequency :) so you'd need to scan all the frequencies used at that location to confirm that they are communicating.

But I'm sure you already know that, so Andrew's suggestion is the only one which makes sense.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

As long as your AI traffic is turned off (which I think you said it was), the only traffic you should be seeing is VATSIM traffic: 

startflying_setup_6.jpg

• Like 1

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

You can use an app like VAT-Spy or map.vatsim.net to see what network traffic is like at a given airport, then compare that to what you see.

Not sure what "Manchester AP" refers to but the Manchester in the UK (aka EGCC) can certainly be very busy on VATSIM.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Robert Wakefield
Posted
Posted

Thanks all.

Manchester AP = Airport - sorry 🙂  Yeh I mean EGCC UK.

Thanks for the help - I think the problem was that although I had turned of AI - I had left 'Live Players' on as I thought this would be needed.  I switched it off (same settings as Evan, above) and I think that has fixed the problem.

Just me being stupid!

Thanks again

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Robert Wakefield said:

Just me being stupid!

Not really. Maybe it isn't clear what "group members" means.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

The term "Live Players" sounds like MSFS is logging into an MS public server where other MSFS pilots are flying ?   Maybe a bit like the old "GameSpy" set up.   Just a thought.   

But good to see the problem is sorted.   BTW, welcome to Vatsim ! 

Andrew

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Andrew McCabe said:

The term "Live Players" sounds like MSFS is logging into an MS public server where other MSFS pilots are flying ?

Exactly this happens.

• Thanks 1

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

VATSIMer since 2009, IRL pilot rated.