You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC language

Marc Sieffert

Marc Sieffert
Posted
Posted

Hi, I just would like to know for info if in realty the language between ATC controllers and pilots is English + the country language as it is the case in Vatsim? I was just wondering because people not from the country might not understand the communication in local language and in some cases if they understood it could help the pilots to foreseen a situation...

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Marc Sieffert said:

Hi, I just would like to know for info if in realty the language between ATC controllers and pilots is English + the country language as it is the case in Vatsim? I was just wondering because people not from the country might not understand the communication in local language and in some cases if they understood it could help the pilots to foreseen a situation...

Usually local languages are approved - depending on the airspace. While it's nice to communicate in English, especially in controlled/busy airspace, using local language is quite common in some places - France, Spain, Latin America, China to name a few. In uncontrolled airspace, on local airfields 99% of the comms would be in local language I guess. English knowledge is not necessary throughout pilots (hence, they are limited and can't fly "abroad" unless they have English ICAO Level 4 [or local language, if they really want]), while ATC are obligatory to speak English.

• Thanks 1

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

VATSIMer since 2009, IRL pilot rated.

Emir Dhil-Maanli
Posted
Posted

English is mandatory on Vatsim but we can speak our local languagues in our countries as it's done in real life, it's as simple as that!

William Teale
Posted
Posted

English is required in Australia, but some pilots still speak Ocka.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Mathias Jacobs-Anseeuw
Posted
Posted

IRL, there are 6 ICAO-approved languages, of which English is the primary one that is required to be known by everyone. Alongside that, you also have Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish.

Being ICAO-approved means that in addition to English, all official aviation-related publications are to be made available in those languages, and that air navigation service providers (ANSP) may choose to also provide air traffic services in one or multiple of those languages. That's why you may hear Spanish phraseology when flying through Spain or South America, French in France or parts of Central America, Russian in many former USSR countries, ... and why that is all legal.

That said, some ANSP also allow use of non-ICAO-approved languages on the frequencies. For example, I know pilots flying VFR in Germany may be talking entirely in German; while not usually ATC-related messages, you can often hear Dutch when flying through The Netherlands; ...
On the other hand, places that could allow, or have long allowed local languages and different measurement units to be used, are now switching to a standardised service for safety reasons, because - as you pointed out already - it's inherently unsafe if you can't understand what is going on around you. E.g. while part of Belgium is French-speaking, all communications are in English; certain international airports in France, Russia and I think China and Spain too now only use English (and the imperial system, in case of Russia) to avoid language barriers; ...

Pablo Maciel
Posted
Posted

If you fly in South America, you normally hear the spanish phraseology, but in Brazil the 95% of pilots communicate in portuguese. So, it depends where you are flying, and the pilots usually speak using his mother language within his country and I think it is normal and they have the rights to do so. But the atc should be able to transmit in english as well, a bit enough for the ATC purposes at least.

I know that our slogan says "As real as it gets", but we have to transform the reality to be affordable into a hobby environment.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Pablo Maciel said:

But the atc should be able to transmit in english as well, a bit enough for the ATC purposes at least.

They should. In RW they will. Have you tried English to South American ATC on VATSIM?

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Pablo Maciel
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Alistair Thomson said:

They should. In RW they will. Have you tried English to South American ATC on VATSIM?

They can speak in English (some more than others) but luckily there is no english problems. In fact, there is a new FSS which has just setted up (It operates just like Eurocontrol in VATSIM) and English is the preferred language to transmit. (www.fss.vatsa.net)

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Pablo Maciel said:

there is no english problems

:) Sorry, I thought I was responding to the OP!

• Like 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2021 at 11:57 PM, Alistair Thomson said:

I have just been IRL to a smaller (backcountry) airport in Egypt. The local TWR controller was not able to understand and say much more than the basic English phraseology... unfortunately, sending .wallop Need some help in HExx did not help on our ACARS 😄

Edited by Andreas Fuchs
  • Haha 8

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

unfortunately, sending .wallop Need some help in HExx did not help on our ACARS

Ah, the beauty of VATSIM! :)

• Haha 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Pablo Maciel
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

I have just been IRL to a smaller (backcountry) airport in Egypt. The local TWR controller was not able to understand and say much more than the basic English phraseology... unfortunately, sending .wallop Need some help in HExx did not help on our ACARS 😄

Did you try saying something in Egyptian? 😁

Pablo Maciel
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

I tried walking like an Egyptian, but it did not work! 😄

Do not worry, I won't ask you here about the outfit you used 😄

Pablo Maciel
Posted
Posted

Yes I know! Epic song indeed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

I tried walking like an Egyptian, but it did not work!

You must be nearly as old as me! :)

• Haha 1

Alistair Thomson

===

• 2 months later...
Kenzo Tayko
Posted
Posted
On 8/9/2021 at 3:56 AM, Marc Sieffert said:

Hello, Marc!

I can't speak for the other countries, but here in Philippine airspace, we speak English with zeal. ATC controllers are evaluated and qualified to handle both local and visiting pilots from all over the world! However, it is still possible to hear some discourse in our languages, particularly at events. We assure you that all instructions will be given in English. Feel free to suggest something for your comfort and convenience; our controllers will be pleased to assist you anytime. We hope to see you on our radar very soon.

Regards, 

• Thanks 1

KENZO MIGUEL TAYKO
ACCPHL7 |
vACC Philippines, Manager - Facilities 
📧 
| [email protected]                                         

edva.png.58cfba478da6ace0d939548a89255cbf.png            fb.png.bbfd24ca74fd1d62a9bde75d650459fe.png             ig.png.51b9f7523c04e7be57759be499e123bf.png            1310810341_NewProject.png.3fcb043b03bb94923323500468e31bec.png

VATPHIL | The Philippines vACC is not affiliated with the CAAP, the actual Philippines ACC, or any governing aviation body. All content contained herein is approved only for use on the VATSIM network.

• 11 months later...
Darrell Arview
Posted
Posted

Walking like an Egyptian is funny. I am hearing in non english speaking countries, on unicom, pilots using their native language. That is a very controversial subject as we can see on vatsim.  We do want everyone to be able to connect to vatsim and use it for their flights,no matter what their language is.  I do belive in the real world, it is required if speaking with ATC to be able to speak English, but the controller had the option to speak in their native language.  My disagreement in that policy is a different subject.  I am seeing more and more, when No ATC is online, pilots using unicom, speaking in their native language, which I do believe is not a vatsim policy, and please correct me if I am wrong.   I agree we need everyone to be able to enjoy this as much as I do, but as real as it gets, does mean something to all of us. It keeps us from starting on a runway, flying the wrong altitude and many other things.     Using a translator, to speak on vatsim is something I do not know if it is accepted or used on vatsim, but it might help us all, keep from flying into each other.  

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

My opinion: you can talk your national language on UNICOM until someone enters the area and clearly does not understand. In this moment all members in that area should switch to English language until everyone is "local" again.

• Like 3

David Bromage
Posted
Posted

My opinion: it's also acceptable to give a greeting to ATC in the local language on first contact and thankyou/goodbye in the local language when being handed over to another controller/UNICOM. Much like the real world.

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted
On 11/6/2022 at 5:24 PM, Andreas Fuchs said:

My opinion: you can talk your national language on UNICOM until someone enters the area and clearly does not understand. In this moment all members in that area should switch to English language until everyone is "local" again.

Here in Finland in real life lot/most of the local VFR traffic is done in Finnish, at least on smaller airfields.

ACH2118.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lauri Uusitalo said:

Here in Finland in real life lot/most of the local VFR traffic is done in Finnish, at least on smaller airfields.

Yes, in Germany as well, because the average German PPL has no or only little command of the English language. Sad but true.

• Like 1

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, David Bromage said:

My opinion: it's also acceptable to give a greeting to ATC in the local language on first contact and thankyou/goodbye in the local language when being handed over to another controller/UNICOM. Much like the real world.

Okay, but what has this to do with the topic of this discussion? "Greetings" are not part of ATC phraseology and you can do that in English, Kiswahili, Eskimo or any other language that you like.