You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

AFIS endoresment

Pavel Sergienko

Pavel Sergienko
Posted
Posted

It would be useful to add AFIS endoresment. Some minors can be staffed by S2 controller and if you have AFIS endoresment, you are also staffing informational tower (you can control VFR traffic in vicinity of airport). Also it works for majors but there you can staff some minors that are not so far away. It depends on local policy or procedures. 

I think it should be described in GCAP. I write below how it can be added there:

An AFIS Tower Endorsement allows an S2 rated controller to provide flight informational and tower services where required by divisional or/and sub-divisional policy. 

• Like 1

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

This is essentially what the FSS endorsement is.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Dawid Reszel
Posted
Posted

Don't get me wrong, but isn't AFISO a step down from an ATCO? Making an additional endorsement to allow someone to "control" AFIS, when we allow him to staff TWR is counterintuitive.

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted
On 8/13/2021 at 2:49 AM, Pavel Sergienko said:

(you can control VFR traffic in vicinity of airport).

Well, at least in Denmark an AFIS operator does not control any traffic, IFR nor VFR. It is an information position only, giving information on weather etc and other traffic in the area. The operator can only suggest e.g. which runway to use, but it is entirely up to the pilot to deside. As such an AFIS operator in VATSIM could thus be one with an S1 rating.

• Like 1

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Torben Andersen said:

Well, at least in Denmark an AFIS operator does not control any traffic, IFR nor VFR. It is an information position only, giving information on weather etc and other traffic in the area. The operator can only suggest e.g. which runway to use, but it is entirely up to the pilot to deside. As such an AFIS operator in VATSIM could thus be one with an S1 rating.

AFIS in general is not a controller, that's why it's called "aerodrome flight INFORMATION service". 

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

VATSIMer since 2009, IRL pilot rated.

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted (edited)

...which is why I called him an operator and NOT controller.

Edited by Torben Andersen

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Torben Andersen said:

...which is why I called him an operator and NOT controller.

And controllers (ATC), except for Air Traffic Control Service, provides other Air Traffic Services: Alerting service and traffic information service. Hence, ATC are already eligible to provide information service. 

Edited by Mateusz Zymla
  • Like 1

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

VATSIMer since 2009, IRL pilot rated.

Dawid Reszel
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mateusz Zymla said:

And controllers (ATC), except for Air Traffic Control Service, provides other Air Traffic Services: Alerting service and traffic information service. Hence, ATC are already eligible to provide information service. 

Moreover, if the aerodrome has both ATC and AFIS, ATC can provide AFIS in his unit without holding AFISO certificate.

Juan Amado
Posted
Posted
On 8/15/2021 at 8:13 AM, Torben Andersen said:

I agree with that idea. S1 could connect as AFIS then. But we would have a problem. Regarding to Appendix A, S1 only know about Ground and Clearance. Why not adding they must know about runway configuration, meteoroly and air position reports.

On the other side, it should be included to know the difference between AFIS and normal ATC TWR in the S2 trainning and knowing how to control (what to avoid doing) on an AFIS TWR.

If it is not included on the trainning for the S2, I'd agree creating an AFIS endorsement for S2 or higher (although as said, is devaluating).

Juan Amado (S3 VATSPA - 1423499)

VATSPA Staff - Events & Members Director