You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Greetings From Ontario!

Jason Smith

Jason Smith
Posted
Posted

Good day forum, 

I am just starting to dive into the world of flight simulation after many (many) years away. I have done allot of research / reading / youtube watching in preperation and found that what VATSIM has to offer was exactly what I was looking for. 

I am still waiting for the rest of my sim rig to arrive and after sometime to set it up, and get accustomed to flying, I hope to take my first VATSIM flight. In the meantime, I have been completing the VATSIM / VATSTAR training as the goal (for me) is to not only know why I am pushing button a, but to understand why I am pushing button a, and what it does. 

I can't wait (in due time) to get on there!

Talk soon!

Bas Pennings
Posted
Posted

Welcome aboard Jason! I wish you many (hopefully safe) flights and joy on VATSIM.

Don't get hung up too much on the research and procedural side of things. It's very easy to fall into the trap of wanting to learn everything perfectly before connecting and actually doing it but the best way to learn is to jump in and make mistakes. Every mistake you make will eventually make you a better aviator. As a side note, if you look into real world flying you'll find there's plenty of mistakes being made as well - by controllers and pilots alike so don't worry about them. Expect to make them and be confident that you will learn from them.

Find a nice controlled airport (not one with 6 runaways and 40 departure procedures) and start out with a plane that you're very familiar with. Make mistakes, fly the plane and try to learn. And most of all - have fun!

Spender Vondel
Posted
Posted

Welcome 🙂 Take your time, and don't yourself get scared away.

I came back to flight simulation after many years as well and it took me about 3 months to get to VATsim: 1 month general rehearsal of flying and IFR rules in a turboprop, 1 month learning to fly the Airbus, 1 month of flying routes offline and practicing radio phraseology. Some patience was required 🙂