You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

2 x VPilot Remotes

Robert Broadbent

Robert Broadbent
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi,

I have a sim with 2 EFB tablets (Pilot and CP) that run on a network. I want to use both of these for VPilot Comms as there are often 2 of us in the sim.

I have the VPilot host running on my main sim machine.

I have been able to set up each tablet as remote but Vpilot does not seem to allow 2 remotes connected together. Is this normal or an I missing something?

Best regards

Rob

Edited by Robert Broadbent

Robert Broadbent
Posted
Posted

Sorry, must have been finger trouble.

All working now.

• Robert Broadbent changed the title to [SOLVED] 2 x VPilot Remotes
Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Is it letting you run voice on both remotes?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Robert Broadbent
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

Sorry this is not solved. My bad. When I connected the second remote in observer mode, it looked like it worked but in fact logged me out of the other remote but it did not indicate this. I tried filing a flight plan and it said it was loaded but ATC had no record of it.

I still am not sure if I can connect 2 remotes.

I don't need voice on both. I have tried VPilot remote (no voice) on one and voice on the other but that didn't work.

Best regards

Rob

• Robert Broadbent changed the title to 2 x VPilot Remotes
Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Robert Broadbent said:

it looked like it worked but in fact logged me out of the other remote

What do you mean by "logged me out of the other remote" ?

Robert Broadbent
Posted
Posted

Well it didn't show a message but even though it let me file a flight plan it was seen by the controller. He asked if I had logged in as an observer, which I had on the other machine. I needed to disconnect it and reconnect then refile the flight plan.

Robert Broadbent
Posted
Posted

Ok, sorry Ross I think I wasted your time. I think the problem is the observer, in my case the person in the cockpit with me, must have his own Vatsim id.

Can I create a second id for this purpose?

Best regards

Rob

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

No, you can't have two ids on VATSIM

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Robert Broadbent
Posted
Posted

I can see that VPilot host can only support the one user so is there any way I can achieve a setup with a 2 pilot sim with 2 EFBs?

Best regards

Rob

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

What exactly are you trying to achieve? If you want each pilot to have their own voice communications, that is not possible with vPilot since it only allows one remote to have a voice connection.

That being said, there may be a way to have both pilots talking on the same voice connection by mixing their two audio devices, but that's not something I've ever attempted.

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

Am I missing something or just seeing this as too simple - can the second pilot not login on the second vPilot instance as an observer?

Trevor Hannant

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Trevor Hannant said:

Am I missing something or just seeing this as too simple - can the second pilot not login on the second vPilot instance as an observer?

That would require running two copies of vPilot on the host sim computer, which isn't currently possible because vPilot only allows a single instance at a time. There are hacky ways to work around that, but I don't know what kind of problems might be caused by running two copies of vPilot Host on the same machine. And the two pilots still wouldn't be able to each be on different COM radios at the same time, since the sim only supports having one COM radio active for transmit at a time. And when one pilot transmits, the other pilot will hear them on a delay.

I think the better solution would be to use third party tools to allow both pilots to share a single audio device, splitting it into two headsets.

• Like 1

Robert Broadbent
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the explanation Ross.

Could this be something that might be addressed in future releases for those of us setup for 2 pilot flying?

Best regards

Rob

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Robert Broadbent said:

Could this be something that might be addressed in future releases for those of us setup for 2 pilot flying?

It's pretty unlikely, for several reasons. First, SimConnect only supports a single pilot in terms of radio configuration. There's only one "transmitter". Second, this would require multiple PTT and multiple audio device (one per COM radio) support in the AFV voice library, which is not something I wrote or maintain. Third, the number of users that this would benefit (home cockpit builders with multiple pilots) is extremely small.

I'm not saying it can't be done ... it would just be a lot of work that would only benefit a few users, so it isn't likely to ever be a higher priority than other updates that I want to make to vPilot and my other VATSIM software.

Robert Broadbent
Posted
Posted

Fair enough. Thank you. 

Best regards

Rob