You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FPS in MSFS 2020 drops drastically with vPilot/VATSIM active...

Martin Gruendel

Martin Gruendel
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello. When i use the vPilot client in MSFS 2020 for flying with VATSIM, my FPS drops always drastically down minus 10-20 FPS… I have generally max. 30 FPS with my Laptop, so when i stay or fly on a (“busy”) airport, the sim is not usable any more because the FPS goes sometimes down 10 FPS. Without vPilot i can fly with no problems.

What could be wrong now? I have Windows 11, 16GB RAM, GTX 1650 4GB GPU. Thanks!

Edited by Martin Gruendel

• Martin Gruendel changed the title to FPS in MSFS 2020 drops drastically with vPilot/VATSIM active...
Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Does this happen regardless of whether the airspace around you is empty or busy?  The only line of questioning I can think of is, are you using only low-poly AI models for your model-matching?  Make sure you don't have your model-matching default plane set to a highly complex model like one you would fly.  You don't need your sim trying to render thirty copies of the PMDG DC-6 all around you so that you can see every gauge, dial, switch, lever, circuit breaker, and aircraft system for each one of them.  If you've (a) changed the default model-match model or (b) added any custom model match rules, make sure you aren't pointing ANY of them to a "flyable" aircraft model, and only to low-poly, exterior-only models which are specifically created to represent OTHER planes around you.

If it's not that, I have no other thoughts -- but hopefully it helps, or, it helps you rule that out as a cause and someone else can chime in.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Martin Valdes
Posted
Posted

Same problem, if V Pilot is open, (I don't even have to be connected to vatsim to experience this problem) there is a service called "State repository service" (or something like that) that starts using like 50% if I move the camera (in msfs).  I have a GTX 1650 super, ryzen 3200G, 16Gb ram and I'm running windows 11.

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted

So is the Windows 11 the culprit?

ACH2118.jpg

Martin Gruendel
Posted
Posted

I have tested everything again in detail ... vPilot is not the problem! I have a "gaming notebook" with a GTX 1650 and an external monitor connected to it via HDMI. My MSFS 2020 is running on the 27 "monitor and I have vPilot, Vat-Spy and Little Navmaps running on the notebook... As soon as I go down with the mouse pointer on the notebook screen and click on the screen, the FPS go extremely down. If I go to the external main monitor again with clicking the mouse, the FPS go up again immediately. So i think that has something to do with Windows 11. Then in the Windows Task Manager, I have various system services running that use my CPU up to 100%. Absolutely everything will then sluggish and even shutting down Windows takes forever ... So no vPilot problem!

Martin Valdes
Posted
Posted
On 9/6/2021 at 9:22 AM, Lauri Uusitalo said:

So is the Windows 11 the culprit?

I think it is, because I downgraded to windows 10 and now everything works perfectly fine.

• 1 year later...
pritam maity
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have the same issue  i tried lowering the no of aircrafts to display to 40nm radius .. it helped a bit but not too much .

specs: i5 8600k , Rtx3060ti,16gig ddr4 2400 mhz ram and win 10 os .

Edited by pritam maity

• 3 weeks later...
Haris Starcevic
Posted
Posted

Few days ago, I have experienced the same issue while I was sitting on Malmo Sturup airport, which was empty (and not that big and detailed airport). At the same time, there were at least 30 aircrafts approaching, departing, or parked on Copenhagen Kastrup (which is pretty much close). My performance setting was set too high and my sim was catching the traffic which made impact on my FPS with 10+ FPS down. It was fine when I reduced covering area, and then I got some idea that maybe can be useful for all simmers with this problem. But that will require action from vPilot developers.

1st idea: If you are able to read range of radar from sim (like you read mode C), and to take that as performance variable. So whatever I pick on radar, it will take that area, and will ignore others. Usually when I'm flying I use 40 or 80nm setting, when on high level, and when I'm approaching or departing, I reduce it to 20, and 10nm also, to track traffic on radar.

2nd idea: On the other side, if you are not able to read range, maybe another fixed setting can be created. Like that I can pick flight level and distance area. Like, if I'm sitting on airport or if I'm departing, I'm not interested for traffic on near airports or what is happening within 40nm because anyway I can't see it. So would be nice to have kind of if I'm below FL100 use 20nm radius and if I'm above to see more etc. but the best option would be nice to have multiple fields so we can enter flight level and radius for each.

Thanks!

Untitled-1.jpg