You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question bout reading back IFR flight numbers

Jason Collins

Jason Collins
Posted
Posted

I tried searching, this seems like a tough thing to search for though. When reading back a flight number to ATC, do I say each number or use a more casual reading? For example, if I'm DAL127 should I be Delta ONE TWO SEVEN or Delta One Twenty Seven? Or does it even matter? I've been flying around on the network for a few weeks now and I've heard both said to me by ATC so I've been inclined to read the numbers out individually regardless.

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

TECHNICALLY you’re supposed to read back the individual numbers (Deta ONE TWO SEVEN). Practically though, in areas where English is typically the strongest/native language for both controllers and (most) pilots, more colloquial phraseology is often used and understood perfectly fine. But if you want my 2 cents, keep working on making the official phraseology your habit.

• Like 1

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Christian Kovanen
Posted
Posted (edited)

ICAO (most of the world) thinks you should read out each number separately

FAA (US) says that after initial contact, you can use "group form", for example, “American Fifty-Two.”

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim_html/chap4_section_2.html

4-2-4

image.thumb.png.3ec754ae18a210b7c44413295239e06e.png

Edited by Christian Kovanen
  • Like 2

Christian Kovanen
Director of VATSIM Scandinavia
Membership Audit Team Lead

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

You can group them after ATC groups them.

Your first call will be call Qantas One Two Three, and if ATC replies Qantas One Twenty Three you can then use One Twenty Three from there on after. If they reply One Two Three you must continue to use One Two Three.

• Like 1

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member