You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Routing different frequencies to different devices

Yanis Sauve

Yanis Sauve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello,

This must have been requested in the past.

Is it possible in a future update to add the capability to route, let's say your primary frequency in your headset, and other frequencies you listen to to the speakers?  This would help greatly with instruction/supervision while doing online supervised sessions.  Instead of missing calls because your student/a pilot on the other frequency happens to key up the mike.

Thanks.

Edited by Yanis Sauve

"Taking off is a choice... Landing is a necessity..." -Unknown

---

8942.png

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

I get the requirement! In RW, a student is right next to the instructor, and intercom allows two-way chat. Very important! But also in RW, there is no way to have two radios open to your headphones at the same time. Maybe, in attempting to offer "as real as it gets" there should be some "virtual intercom" associated with a training flight. Or maybe with any flight...

I'm aware, of course, of Discord but that is definitely not a private world! I simply do not know anything about how AfV works or if intercom, associated with a flight and which could be connected to by a nominee, would even be possible. Nice idea, though!

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm assuming this request is in regards to ATC training, but it would also be helpful for pilot clients to have this ability, especially for multi-pilot home cockpits. In the latter case, we would need not only separate output devices per frequency, but also separate microphone devices, and separate PTT settings per frequency/transceiver.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Yanis Sauve
Posted
Posted
On 9/21/2021 at 6:58 PM, Ross Carlson said:

I'm assuming this request is in regards to ATC training, but it would also be helpful for pilot clients to have this ability, especially for multi-pilot home cockpits. In the latter case, we would need not only separate output devices per frequency, but also separate microphone devices, and separate PTT settings per frequency/transceiver.

That's right, it's from an ATC standpoint.  As the forum is named "Audio for VATSIM", I was under the impression that was dedicated to the ATC client. 🙂

---

8942.png

Yanis Sauve
Posted
Posted
On 9/21/2021 at 6:48 PM, Alistair Thomson said:

I get the requirement! In RW, a student is right next to the instructor, and intercom allows two-way chat. Very important! But also in RW, there is no way to have two radios open to your headphones at the same time. Maybe, in attempting to offer "as real as it gets" there should be some "virtual intercom" associated with a training flight. Or maybe with any flight...

I'm aware, of course, of Discord but that is definitely not a private world! I simply do not know anything about how AfV works or if intercom, associated with a flight and which could be connected to by a nominee, would even be possible. Nice idea, though!

Hello Alistair,

Here's what I mean.  I'm controlling CTR, so I have my frequency in my headset (I use a headset that leaves my other ear open so I can hear everything else that happens around me).  My student is controlling GND at an airport under my supervision, and his frequency would be played through external speakers instead of my headset.  That way I can hear my planes correctly without missing a call because my student or one of his planes talks at the same time.

---

8942.png

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2021 at 11:18 AM, Yanis Sauve said:

I'm controlling CTR, ...  My student is controlling GND

Isn't that a bit like a pilot instructor flying one aircraft whle his student flies another one? I'd have thought that as an instructor your focus might have been entirely on the student. Maybe I misunderstand - and certainly I have no clue about the ATC training environment, so apologies if I have it wrong! :)

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Yanis Sauve
Posted
Posted

No worries. We do sessions where the focus is entirely on the student.  But when the student gets a little more used to things, we pull back a little and provide ATC services with him so he can also have the opportunity to interact with other units for coordinations for example.

---

8942.png