You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Equipment type now showing "?"

Danny Moore

Danny Moore
Posted
Posted (edited)

Did something change on Vatsim after the server update that effects vatspy? Under equipment type L is now replaced with ? and M.

I'm using Vatspy 1.2.0 beta 1 as suggested in this thread as the pilots rating takes up too much real-estate and you can't resize or remove the columns. 

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Edited by Danny Moore

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It's likely caused by recent changes on the servers having to do with flight plans and equipment codes. The latest version of VAT-Spy is not affected by this issue, so it doesn't make sense for me to spend any time troubleshooting it. I'll let the server devs know in case it's a bug.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

They are aware of the issue. It has to do with converting between FAA and ICAO formatted flight plans. When the wake turbulence category identifier is not present, it puts a question mark. This will be fixed in a later version of the server. As I mentioned above, the current version of VAT-Spy is not affected by this because it uses a different field in the data feed which does not contain the wake turbulence category. (It contains the FAA equipment code instead.)

Danny Moore
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply and explanation. 

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ross Carlson said:

It has to do with converting between FAA and ICAO formatted flight plans.

I assumed that this might be the issue. Despite the fact that the FAA have already converted to ICAO codes, we still apparently have US VATSIM folks using what I beieved were deprecated FAA codes, like /L.

Is it the case, in FAA land, that the old FAA flight plan codes are still in use? And, therefore, am I wrong to assume that the FAA had wholeheartedly accepted the ICAO format, superseding their own legacy ones?

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure how fully the US has moved to ICAO equipment codes. We're doing the same on VATSIM, but there are still places where flight plans can be filed with FAA codes, so we're not there yet.

I'm currently working on an ATC client that will replace VRC, vSTARS, and vERAM. This client will have a flight plan amendment form that supports ICAO equipment codes and other ICAO fields. I'm not sure what the deal is with other ATC clients, but I imagine they are already supporting ICAO equipment codes.

As for vPilot, I will be removing the flight plan form completely, and users will use the website to file a flight plan, and that form is already using ICAO format. I can't speak for what the other pilot client authors will do or have already done.

• Like 1

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Yep, RW I still very much can (and do) file all my flight plans with the old FAA format.  Just about every place you can file a flight plan, you can use either format.  Though I imagine at some point in time the FAA will discontinue the old format, as of now you are free to use either.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted (edited)

I mean the FAA does state that "The FAA prefers users to file ICAO format flight plans for all flights." (Source)

Regardless, I thought this whole "have the conversion happen on the server" idea was only a temporary fix until Ross finds the time to have the conversion happen in his clients.

Edited by Lars Bergmann

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

I see this is posted as a Vat-Spy issue, however it is much wider than that in my experience.  I use Swift, and ATC have been asking lately what equipment type I am.  Only been asked in last couple of weeks.  ServInfo also is displaying ? and M.  So it is server side I believe not VATSpy centric.

SWIFT only allows one letter equipment codes, so I can’t test, but I think the server is seeing the first letter as wake turbulence only.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Christian Kovanen
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sean Harrison said:

I see this is posted as a Vat-Spy issue, however it is much wider than that in my experience.  I use Swift, and ATC have been asking lately what equipment type I am.  Only been asked in last couple of weeks.  ServInfo also is displaying ? and M.  So it is server side I believe not VATSpy centric.

SWIFT only allows one letter equipment codes, so I can’t test, but I think the server is seeing the first letter as wake turbulence only.

So you didn't bother to read the responses from Ross Carlson that explain this is a known server side issue with converting between FAA and ICAO formatted flight plans? A fix is also in the works already: "This will be fixed in a later version of the server."

Edited by Christian Kovanen
  • Sad 1

Christian Kovanen
Director of VATSIM Scandinavia
Membership Audit Team Lead

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Yes I did read Ross’ comments.  He is an extremely knowledgeable and likeable man, I have never found reading any of his posts to be a bother. 👍

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png