You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Re-connect Mid Air ?

Colin Taranovich

Colin Taranovich
Posted
Posted

Hello, 

Please forgive me if this has been discussed, I searched the forum and didn't see this anywhere. 

Lets say I'm doing a super long-haul flight and need to disconnect from VATSIM for about an hour or two to run errands. Is it okay to re-connect and check in with the controller like normal? 

To be clear, I'm talking about re-connecting during a non-critical phase of flight such as straight and level cruise flight. 

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Sure.  VATSIM actually forbids unattended connections, so you are supporting the policy by disconnecting.  

Tips for re-connecting;

1. Never on a runway

2. Check with a ‘who’s online’ application; to see if you will interfere with anyone else [maybe 20m lateral sep, 2000’ vertical]

3. If you have TCAS make sure it is visible and at a extended range

4. Re-connect

5. Check for separation standards with other aircraft

6. Contact ATC if they are online

I know you said enroute Colin, but I just wanted to be explicit. Disregard line 1

The idea is not to interfere with another pilot/controller when spawning.  If you aim to minimise impact to others, you are winning.

• Like 1

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Colin Taranovich
Posted
Posted

Awesome, thank you for the explanation Sean, much appreciated! Take care. 

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Sean Harrison said:

Sure.  VATSIM actually forbids unattended connections, so you are supporting the policy by disconnecting.  

Tips for re-connecting;

1. Never on a runway

2. Check with a ‘who’s online’ application; to see if you will interfere with anyone else [maybe 20m lateral sep, 2000’ vertical]

3. If you have TCAS make sure it is visible and at a extended range

4. Re-connect

5. Check for separation standards with other aircraft

6. Contact ATC if they are online

I know you said enroute Colin, but I just wanted to be explicit. Disregard line 1

The idea is not to interfere with another pilot/controller when spawning.  If you aim to minimise impact to others, you are winning.

I'll add point 1b. Never on final (especially short final).

• Like 1

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

Also not on a taxiway.

And: to make sure the coast is clear, I like to connect as observer first; this allows me to see exactly what's going on, and maybe even give the controller a heads-up, before connecting for real.

23.png