You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Thoughts regarding Section 3 of the GCAP

Bahaeddine El-Zarif

Bahaeddine El-Zarif
Posted
Posted

To whom it may concern,

I was reading through the Global Air Traffic Control Policy (GCAP) and have found some items needing clarification, so excuse me if my questions sound noobish for someone who's been on the network for 10+ years.

I would appreciate it if someone could provide some examples of possible implementations regarding Ground Metering and Radio Operator positions.

Thank you for your time.

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

Ground metering is used as outbound planning. The goal is to reduce the amount of traffic holding at the runway in a queue (with engines running) and to time their startups and pushbacks in such a way, that there's always a little (with emphasis on little) queue at the runway (otherwise you're losing capacity if the runway is waiting for departing planes), but the majority of the queue is actually sitting idle at the gate, reducing emission, fuel waste and congestion on the taxiways.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

Radio Operator positions exist around the world as people who simply operate communications radios for aircraft. Gander Radio, Shanwick Radio, Stockholm Radio, etc.  When flying oceanic, you are not actually talking to a controller, rather a radio operator. They relay the position reports etc to a qualified controller, who then does the actual controlling. 

This position is envisioned to allow for someone with only an S1 rating to receive the requisite training to assist in large events as well as provide another avenue of being able to get online for controllers. For example, if a Gander Qualified controller wanted to control on a random (non-event) day. A person with a radio operator endorsement could ask the controller if they could sign on as well.

• Like 1

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Posted
Posted

I talked more about an idea I had for radio operators; 

@Matthew Bartels question, will local facilities (such as Gander Oceanic) be able to "limit" radio operators to S2 or S3? I just personally wouldn't exactly feel 100% confident about an S1 with not too much radar experience, with handling oceanic enroute radios. 

C1-rated controller

Bahaeddine El-Zarif
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Thimo Koolen said:

Ground metering is used as outbound planning. The goal is to reduce the amount of traffic holding at the runway in a queue (with engines running) and to time their startups and pushbacks in such a way, that there's always a little (with emphasis on little) queue at the runway (otherwise you're losing capacity if the runway is waiting for departing planes), but the majority of the queue is actually sitting idle at the gate, reducing emission, fuel waste and congestion on the taxiways.

So in other words, Ground metering is an extension of Ground control more or less. Okay.