You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

5.02(a)(i) FSS and S1

Bahaeddine El-Zarif

Bahaeddine El-Zarif
Posted
Posted

Would someone be so kind as how one would connect as FSS with an S1 rating?

If an airport within a sub-division does not have the positions with each rating in real world, are they still obligated to have those on VATSIM ?

Thanks!

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

I think an example would be oceanic clearance. And no, it's not required to have an FSS in your subdivison.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

In the real world Oceanic positions operate with a radio operator and a controller, the radio operator as the name suggests, operates the radio, they talk to the aircraft and gather the posotion reports then pass that infomration onto the controller who does the controlling.

As it is just a radio operator position there is no need for some one to be qualified in oceanic seperation standards. As such a S1 should be able to work the radio, while a oceanic qualified controller works out the sepration and sequencing  as it is done in in the real world.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Christian Kovanen
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Kirk Christie said:

In the real world Oceanic positions operate with a radio operator and a controller, the radio operator as the name suggests, operates the radio, they talk to the aircraft and gather the posotion reports then pass that infomration onto the controller who does the controlling.

As it is just a radio operator position there is no need for some one to be qualified in oceanic seperation standards. As such a S1 should be able to work the radio, while a oceanic qualified controller works out the sepration and sequencing  as it is done in in the real world.

Only responding to Kirk's message in regards to allowing S1 to act as oceanic radio operators.

I don't think that is really applicable on VATSIM. Real world operates differently due to a number of reasons that are not important or relevant here. The S1 controller would need a certified oceanic controller to be online any time he would like to "control" (be the radio operator). Imagine only being able to log on TWR as S2 if APP is online. Furthermore, at least for me, with regular day to day traffic talking on the radio with other humans is the fun part. Nowadays with little to no position reports the radio is not the limiting factor in oceanic controlling. During events I do support having delivery controllers that don't have to be oceanic certified but I don't think that's a job for S1 rated controllers either.

Edited by Christian Kovanen

Christian Kovanen
Director of VATSIM Scandinavia
Membership Audit Team Lead

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

There’s VATSIM FSS and there’s Real World FSS. GCAPs allowance of S1s to connect as FSS is based upon the real world position.  They would not be providing any control instructions and instead providing advisory services, advising of weather, traffic, runway configurations etc.  It’s a great way to get S1s talking on the radio, and like almost every endorsement in the GCAP there’s a training component required before just being let loose. 

VATSIM FSS’s like Eurcontrol, Caribbean FSS, Asia FSS, etc would be re-designated as CAOCs  

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"