You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

So last night AVS lied to me and tonight my radio died on me

John McMurdo

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was on my way to EDDM and I had just dialed in the approach frequency on my radio.  I got a PM from ATC to get in touch, so I tried, but no response,  I got another text message,  so I figured ok my radio has decided to play up again. I have had issues before at the beginning of flights when making first contact with ground,  but never in air,  and this was a critical moment.  I was still pretty far out from Munich,  but even so,  not ideal. I sent a text message on unicom,  hoping ATC would see it and just disconnected.  I continued to Munich offline,  but was still disappointed. 

My question is this, should this happen again, at what point in should one not take the risk of reconnecting,  obviously if ATC is in the middle of giving me vectors or i'm already established on ILS im not going to try reconnecting. I cant remember how far out I was, I would have to review my twitch stream,  but I was descending and just passing FL230 when ATC messaged me.

And as for AVS, well lest just say I think I will just go back to charts than rely on a plugin to help me find my way round an airport.

Edited by John McMurdo

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, John McMurdo said:

My question is this, should this happen again, at what point in should one not take the risk of reconnecting,  obviously if ATC is in the middle of giving me vectors or i'm already established on ILS im not going to try reconnecting. I cant remember how far out I was, I would have to review my twitch stream,  but I was descending and just passing FL230 when ATC messaged me.

This is another case of "use your best judgement." It's not terribly uncommon to see aircraft disconnect intentionally and unintentionally. When someone drops off my scope, I'll usually keep the datablock up for a minute or two just in case they come back, but that's largely when I'm working a center position. When you're in the terminal environment you can still reconnect, but that's really where the judgement comes in.

If you were online and disconnected but kept flying without pausing, it's most likely okay to reconnect. It happens frequently when I'm controlling. If you're using XPilot and were kicked for low FPS, then it depends: are you in the middle of an event? Were you on final with a dozen minimally-spaced airplanes behind you? Probably best to finish offline. If you're one of four airplanes within fifty miles of the airport, then it's probably okay to reconnect.

You can also find a little guidance here in the VATSIM Code of Conduct.

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted

Of course airports have procedures for these radio issues also. Depending your STAR these may differ, but here are couple of examples for EDDM: 

image.png.7f1bf83207a50901ee3b04d9a9ac5ac6.pngimage.png.7e3ff2203d351511c5a87a6101120612.png

ACH2118.jpg

Andre Bohni
Posted
Posted

I think we need to know a bit more of your Setting to help you with the Radio problem.

It Could be that your Pilotclient is not uptodate and don't handle the xxx.xx5 frequency correct, or your Simulator has switched the Frequency after you dialed in the Correct one.

Regards André

eddk,lsas,vatgerfb,vatgercpt,worldflight,euroscope,vatoic,fsrealwx.jpg1178638.png

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted (edited)

Are you flying MSFS, there is apparently a setting you need to turn off.

Ai controls ATC

You can always revert to text.

ATC doesn't monitor unicom.

Edited by Kirk Christie

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member