You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Never thought I would get into gaming so seriously

John McMurdo

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted

My first taste of gaming was on the ZX Spectrum (showing my age now 👴 ) One of the first games I played was actually called flight simulator - and I recently found an online emulator.  As I got older I grew less and less interested in gaming until about 4 years ago when a friend introduced me to minecraft,  which I became addicted to. Then I discovered steam, and I started searching for more games,  the first was a flight simulator that would work on Linux,  and I have been playing X-Plane 11 for quite a while,  as well as Euro truck simulator 2 and a few others. 

I never thought that at my age I would be so into gaming,  and certainly never thought I would have spent so much on not just games,  but DLC and hardware too!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

The wall in the background during my zoom meetings for work is the same wall I use for the background of my flight sim streams.  I have found it difficult to describe to my coworkers what all that stuff is 🙂

• Haha 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

John Stockton
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello, My name is John and I'm a FlightSimaholic. . . . . .

Edited by John Stockton
  • Haha 1

N313GM, P0: X-Plane 12.01r3, Windows 11, i7-13700k, RTX4080 (16GB), 32GB DDR4 4800

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

There probably isn't a formal definition of the word "game" but I think most folks would accept that, firstly a game has competitive elements, and secondly, because of that, there are likely to be winners and losers.

So I don't treat VATSIM as a game at all, since neither of these applies. Doesn't stop it from being totally addictive, of course :) and a worthy second fiddle to real-world aviation.

@John McMurdo I'm probably older than your clearly advanced years: My first computer was a Univac 1108 in 1969. Not mine of course, since it took up the whole of the ground floor of the lab I was working at. My first gaming computer was a ZX81, playing Mazogs. I still think that was an amazing little machine and a fun game to play, given the "rudimentary" monochrome graphics!

• Thanks 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

You've got me by a few years, Alistair, but I'm not that far behind you.  I agree with your definition of a game, but like it or not we are pretty much a sub-niche of the online gaming community.  There's just not a better category to put us in, when explaining ourselves to outsiders, it seems.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted

@Alistair Thomson  I agree about VATSIM being more than a game, but flight simulators offline you can take as seriously or as lightly as you like.  Offline I take it a little less seriously unless I am practising a route or procedure that I will be taking to VATSIM.  I often like to do a lot of low level flying in the Cessna or the Sentinel though with no planning,  just picking a small airport and flying around and doing touch and go's.

BTW,  love your signature - I had to do a little bit of research to fully appreciate it though :)

• 2 weeks later...
Luca Melis
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 10/9/2021 at 11:04 PM, John McMurdo said:

My first taste of gaming was on the ZX Spectrum (showing my age now 👴 ) One of the first games I played was actually called flight simulator - and I recently found an online emulator.  As I got older I grew less and less interested in gaming until about 4 years ago when a friend introduced me to minecraft,  which I became addicted to. Then I discovered steam, and I started searching for more games,  the first was a flight simulator that would work on Linux,  and I have been playing X-Plane 11 for quite a while,  as well as Euro truck simulator 2 and a few others. 

I never thought that at my age I would be so into gaming,  and certainly never thought I would have spent so much on not just games,  but DLC and hardware too!

It was the same for me. Once, I started to use the virtual flight simulation I started to enjoy day after day

Edited by Luca Melis
i do not know how to speak in english

• 1 year later...
Patty Falcon
Posted
Posted (edited)

In fact, modern games are just beautiful, and they are designed for different age groups. The first game I played was The Elder Scrolls: Arena, which came out back in 1994. After that, I played the first two installments of the legendary fantasy Action-RPG series, and recently I started playing Final Fantasy XIV. As a true fan of the classic games, I decided to give myself a keepsake and ask Sky Coach to buy a few things for me. You might be interested in visiting this page and making a keepsake for yourself. I was not disappointed, so I'll be coming back for sure!

Edited by Patty Falcon