You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Apologizing to controllers for CTDs

Michael Ryan 1286383

Michael Ryan 1286383
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I’ve had this happen more than once unfortunately, and just had it happen again tonight. Was flying IFR with departure and then center. Had just absolutely awesome ATC service (I’m a RW pilot and just thoroughly enjoyed it), I’m approaching my destination, request an approach from center, he approves, I click the Activate Approach button in my GPS and… yuck. Straight CTD. 

I was quite disappointed , but most disappointed in not being able to the thank the controller for his awesome service. Which brought me to the question: when that happens, what’s the protocol? 

As I was flying tonight I heard the controller say “radar contact lost” to another plane and figured that’s probably what happened to him as well. 

Anyway, Boston Center (@Jamsheed), you were amazing tonight. 

Edited by Michael Ryan 1286383

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Jamsheed livestreams on Twitch.tv as "Sh3ed" in case you want to tell him yourself.

Otherwise, there's no protocol.  Unlike the real world, the planes on our scopes go suddenly and inexplicably missing sometimes.  We note it and move on.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

If possible, I give the controller a heads-up when that happens, either on voice (if that still works), or on text; most seem to appreciate knowing what happened. But after that, I disconnect quickly, because if you don't, your aircraft will appear hanging in the air, and that's much more disruptive than just disappearing.

23.png