You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Updated Headset Recommendation Please?

Jay Lusk

Jay Lusk
Posted
Posted

Hello all. I'm new to VATSIM, looking for a 2021 headset recommendation with the following in mind:

- for PC/Sim use only
- will route COMMS to headset; sim sounds to desktop speakers, so assume USB?
- Given my desired desktop speaker integration, assume I do NOT want a tight-fit around-the-ear, nor noise cancelling headset? My sim space is otherwise quiet.
- Dual ear, not single
- Clear mic a priority
- $50-200

Much appreciated! ~J.

Raul Ferraz
Posted
Posted

Hey Jay, welcome!

Logitech have quite a good price/quality relation - https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-audio.html?filters=wired-usb-input

I personally use the G432, and while a bit on the heavy side, I can still were it for at least 3h in a row comfortably.

Jay Lusk
Posted
Posted

Thanks Raul,

Appreciate the link! I had reviewed the Logitech line, including the G series and Pro X.

However, all these appear to have full wraps around the ear, so I was fearing they might not be the best choice for separating sound channels - ie piping sim sounds through to my desktop speakers. Could I still hear my desktop channels while wearing these?

J.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I use the G430 and until recently I split sounds as you describe -- sim to speakers, comms to headset.  Worked just fine.

The only issue was that for livestream narration, the built-in noise gate would occasionally drop the very first part of my sentence.  But for comms over VATSIM it has always been perfectly adequate.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Jay Lusk
Posted
Posted

Just the insight I was hoping for. Thank you both. ~J.

• 3 weeks later...
Jay Lusk
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks to my headphone choice, my first Vatsim flight has been grounded.

I decided on Cooler Master MH752. Received today and loved everything about them except for the significant delay in monitoring my voice (via headset mic) through to the headset earphones. The MH752 does not have a dedicated Sidetone feature. I'm using Win10 "Listen to this device" in the mic config menu. If I can't correct this lag time, it's disqualifying for me, as mastering ATC phraseology is new and difficult enough.

Tips? Workarounds? Or should I buy a headset with dedicated sidetone? THX.

Edited by Jay Lusk

• 3 weeks later...
Jay Lusk
Posted
Posted (edited)

SOLVED! I settled on the Plantronics - Blackwire C5220 USB headset. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079GY78JJ?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It is on-the-ear rather than over, effectively allowing me to hear myself, as well as all other sim sounds coming from my desktop speakers (muffled as it would be in the aircraft). Clarity of comms seems excellent. Clear, isolated RX in my ears and 5x5 TX for all on-network radio-checks to-date. It's a minimal size, lightweight and very comfortable, yet substantial enough for a solid mount of a TrackIR Pro Clip.

It doesn't have an advertised side-tone feature, and I'm not utilizing the "Listen to this device" Windows scheme, however once connected to Vpilot, the Plantronics provides side-tone. I can hear my own voice through the headphones without any significant delay. It's very quiet, but still lightly amplified and sufficient.

For $65, it does everything I need it to do. Highly recommended for Vatsim if your ambient sound-space is otherwise quiet and dedicated to sim sounds.

J.

Edited by Jay Lusk

John Stockton
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've had these for a month now and very happy with them. Like you, I listen to ATC through headphones and simulator through desktop speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TC8J6HK?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Opps! lol, Looks like I'm late to the party. Enjoy your new Headphones.

Edited by John Stockton

N313GM, P0: X-Plane 12.01r3, Windows 11, i7-13700k, RTX4080 (16GB), 32GB DDR4 4800