You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Multibyte Charactors in the Chat Box

Daisuke Shimotoku

Daisuke Shimotoku
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello all,

I am S3 candidate in VAT Japan, trying to use the Euroscope.  In the Asian area, while many pilots use with multi-byte characters, the controller client should support them.  As default, multi-byte characters get garbled in the chat box, and the euroscope.ttf font file does not include those characters, I substituted the ttf; thus this problem appears to be resolved (shown in the attached image). 

I updated the Euroscope to the most present beta version 3.2.1.29, this hack no longer worked.  The chat box in the new version appears to disrespect euroscope.ttf and uses another font file.   For the public version 3.2.1.25, also the character get garbled, but it looks respecting euroscope.ttf.

I know that until 3.2.xx.xx, this hack worked, hence, I wonder that ES could recognized the multi-byte characters as is, but failed to represent them.  I did not expect this upgrade could have destroy this environment and forget to remind the version number.

Is anyone know the way to use multi-byte characters in the chat box in these newer version?  What is the update history on it?

thanks a lot!

sample2.png

Edited by Daisuke Shimotoku

Daisuke Shimotoku
Posted
Posted

I rechecked the version and found that after r25, this is not working. mmm...

• 2 weeks later...
Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

v3.2.1.23 is the last built with VS2010 platform toolsets. Since that ES is built using VS2019 toolset v142. That had some effect on displaying TTF fonts.

Since v3.2.1.29 the fonts are creating using "default charset" instead of "East Europe charset" that was set accidentally. That might cause problems too.

Unfortunately ES is not unicode, it uses simple ANSI chars with support of default charset. And also does not support UTF-8 conversion.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Matisse VanWezer
Posted
Posted
On 10/23/2021 at 11:31 AM, Gergely Csernak said:

Since v3.2.1.29 the fonts are creating using "default charset" instead of "East Europe charset" that was set accidentally. That might cause problems too.

Can you confirm this is the reason why vSMR and the UACplugin their text is now bugged?

Bugged = r28, Correct = r26

image.thumb.png.e576b63ba4a5680b41294ddea67a3a6c.png

image.thumb.png.2749d6641b7a54a3fba781e0c24a5322.png

image.png.85ad9cc84f78e8c1b4601bd3267757ee.pngimage.png.d1aec21d05732462d465fe00530fc31f.png

Streaming Brussels Control since 2018 on MatisseRAdar - Twitch to create time lapses on YouTube and TikTok

Daisuke Shimotoku
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Gergely,

Thank you for your answer, and I am happy to hear from you what is happening under the hood. After my last report, I rechecked the font, and fixed some problem.  In my environment, installing Custom EuroScope Font (https://community.vatsim.uk/topic/36848-custom-euroscope-font/) was a good hack for this issue.  This overwrites ES defaults font and with installing and modifying this font, multi-bite characters could appear in the chat box. 

My conclusion is, even the ES program is not compatible with UTF-8, but the VATSIM server itself supports UTF-8, hence the chatbox on ES tries to show the UTF-8 character as it is sent from the server.  The reason they garbled is just ES font does not include multi-bite characters.  I wonder my trial proved this.

Thus, can I ask a feature request that modifying a font in a chat box?  It will help users who will need non ANSI characters.
(screenshot taken on r28)

thank you,

sample.png

Edited by Daisuke Shimotoku