You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Center boundaries - crossing from uncontrolled airspace

Eddie Trent 992360

Eddie Trent 992360
Posted
Posted

As a pilot, is there a way to determine the boundaries between Centers?

Example: flight from Los Cabos to KSLC. transitioning out of ABQ CTR north of Phoenix. With no ABQ CTR online to tell me I'm leaving their space, how will I know where the line between ZAB, ZLA and ZDV is? or when to contact?

Thanks for any help... I dont want to be bothering CTRs any earlier than needed!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I use FSNavigator ... the payware version has a moving map which shows the ARTCC boundaries.

Alternatively, you could use ServInfo, but that's not a perfect solution since it only updates once every 2 or 3 minutes.

Worst-case scenario, the controller will send you a private message asking you to contact him on his frequency when you enter his airspace. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that ... happens all the time. Controllers don't take offense or consider it a pilot error if you don't contact them prior to entering their airspace, provided you are at the controls and respond quickly. We (controllers) all know that it's just one of the realism compromises we make on VATSIM.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Eddie Trent 992360
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Ross... really appreciate the clue on FSNAvigator payware. I'll check it out, if I can pry the Debit card away from my wife.

I'm not a big fan of ServInfo because everytime I go to it, FS9 goes into pause mode.

Good to know that controllers are understanding if they get a "with you" call, even if we're a little off their screens.

Jay Shepherd 919640
Posted
Posted
Thanks, Ross... really appreciate the clue on FSNAvigator payware. I'll check it out, if I can pry the Debit card away from my wife.

I'm not a big fan of ServInfo because everytime I go to it, FS9 goes into pause mode.

Good to know that controllers are understanding if they get a "with you" call, even if we're a little off their screens.

If you have preference you can go into Settings > General, and unclick the "Pause on Task Switch" box.

FSNavigator is still a great program though, it and FS P[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers is among the only reasons I still have FS9 on my computer.

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

The US low-level enroute charts show the boundaries between ARTCCs. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume the high-level enroute charts do as well.

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Craig Moulton
Posted
Posted
The US low-level enroute charts show the boundaries between ARTCCs. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume the high-level enroute charts do as well.

They do.

Fly Safe! Have Fun!

Craig Moulton

810358.png

Travis Faudree 821145
Posted
Posted

Uncheck "Pause on task switch" in your general settings menu.