You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

picking up IFR clearance whilst already in the air

jordan Kimbrey

jordan Kimbrey
Posted
Posted

i just wanted some clarification about getting clearance, i had some internet issues whilst trying to connect to VATSIM but took off anyway but now the internet issue is resolved and i don't really want to load back in and get the clearance, even though when i checked there wasn't anyone to get clearance. can i still log on normally and pick up my IFR clearance whilst flying?

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

If you log on and find yourself in Unicom land, there's no need to get an IFR clearance, it'll be assumed that you got whatever clearance you need.

You can also simulate pop-up IFR on VATSIM, but the situation would be different: it would be when you depart VFR, typically from an airport in uncontrolled airspace, and then pick up your IFR clearance while already in the air, before entering controlled airspace.

23.png

Luca Melis
Posted
Posted

Quite common in airspace E or G, you take-off from a VFR only airport and then you change to IFR flight and you get the clearance in the air.

This is normal in big airspaces close to a capital city where there are different kind of airports.