You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Distance lines stuck bug

Thimo Koolen

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I'm unsure what causes the bug, but I know it seemingly occurs randomly. This evening, me (EHAA_W_CTR), EHAM_W_APP and EHEH_APP were online and we had the bug at the exact same time. So maybe it's not as random as I think it is, and has to do something with either a bugged plane, something with the data, or anything else.

The bug: Normally you can draw a quick distance line by double clicking a place and dragging the mouse. At some point, the bug might occur and you won't be able to draw this line. It will (for us) always be in the position as shown in the screenshot below. Same heading, same distance. So far, we just 'fix' it by restarting Euroscope, but it's quite annoying to assume everything again, restart AFV, set everyone's temporary altitude again, etc.

We run beta 26.

image.png.d307822815f5b211a2d661eef758855b.png

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

I experienced the same last evening. Never seen it before so I thought maybe I accidentally changed some setting or disabled the distance line function.

It does sound a bit spooky that you all had it at the same time!

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Federico Handl
Posted
Posted

I've experienced the same issue while controlling EGAA_APP, EIDW_CTR and EISN_CTR over the last 2 weeks. I've heard controllers in Germany have been having the same issue these last few days. The fixed point seems to be different for every aircraft, but common across all controllers, which is quite strange

Federico Handl

VATéir Operations Director
VATéir Controller Plugin Developer

Troels Knudsen
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've had the issue a few times whilst controlling as EKCH_W_APP, and I know that EKCH_F_APP had it too whilst we were both online. Funnily enough, I have not had it whilst controlling BIKF_APP, but that might just be luck 

Edited by Troels Knudsen

Matisse VanWezer
Posted
Posted

Got the same issue today, and I was also not able to use the sep tools. It would draw a line from wherever I first clicked to some place far far away.

Streaming Brussels Control since 2018 on MatisseRAdar - Twitch to create time lapses on YouTube and TikTok

Conor O'Brien
Posted
Posted (edited)

Also had it where it wouldn't draw a line at all for a while.

Edited by Conor O'Brien

Conor O'Brien - C1
Network Supervisor

Roinn VATSIM na hÉireann

Posted
Posted

Had the same issue. Looks like it centres towards a specific point - in this case, it's a VOR in my sector file, though this happens differently in other files. Screenshots:

unknown.pngunknown.png

C1-rated controller

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted
On 10/25/2021 at 3:05 AM, 1341101 said:

Looks like it centres towards a specific point - in this case, it's a VOR in my sector file

In my screenshot it seems to be centered around the SPL VOR, which it always did with previous occurances as well. It's an interesting observation really.

On 10/24/2021 at 7:38 PM, Conor O'Brien said:

Also had it where it wouldn't draw a line at all for a while.

Maybe outside of your current visible screen?

On 10/24/2021 at 6:25 PM, Troels Knudsen said:

I've had the issue a few times whilst controlling as EKCH_W_APP, and I know that EKCH_F_APP had it too whilst we were both online. Funnily enough, I have not had it whilst controlling BIKF_APP, but that might just be luck 

It seems to happen to everyone controlling the same area at the same time. Maybe some data corruption that triggers it. It doesn't always happen, so there's a good chance most didn't even encountered the issue before.

spacer.png

Niels de Roo
Posted
Posted

This also seems to occur when running e.g. an APP sweatbox scenario, where the callsign and fpdata don't match. At the moment that specific aircraft spawns in, the bug occurs.

So could it be that after the recent server update some flightplans are not decoded correctly and don't match the callsign?

Conor O'Brien
Posted
Posted

Issue happened again with the Ruler. 4 Controllers on 3 different positions _APP and _CTR Ruler centered on the Shannon VOR. (The same for all controllers) Then after a minute or 2 then centred on Liverpool, for all 4 controllers (same sector file)

image.png

Conor O'Brien - C1
Network Supervisor

Roinn VATSIM na hÉireann

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

Perhaps the new longer allowed callsigns are the culprit?

Bernardo Reis
Posted
Posted

I mentioned some of this oddities to Boz yesterday and he said he had an idea of what might be causing other issues (like this one: https://vatsim-scandinavia.org/forums/topic/4161-erratic-plugin-calculated-parameters/). He said he will look into it and maybe this is gets solved.

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just happened again to the entire Amsterdam crew during CTP. Horrible timing. This time, no '0nm line'.

Edited by Thimo Koolen

spacer.png

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

image.thumb.png.4fc8c4ef97bf90d3ca5cbd3870cd5eaa.png

Only got this after having a distance line between two aircraft and dismissing it. Unable to get rid of this line that is 4200+ nm long.

spacer.png

Vicente Perez Mateu
Posted
Posted

Hi. Some weeks ago Bernardo and me were talking about that issue. After re-start ES things fixed and no problems detected until today. After some two hours controlling I realized I can't use neither vectors nor distances. First reaction was re-start ES and everything seems to be normally ok, but one minute after bug came back. ***t!!

Vicente P Mateu

spacer.png

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

Restarting is not always a feasable solution, especially when it's busy. Since ES takes a long time to automatically set the primary frequency, and then after that having to wait 5 more seconds before connecting AFV, and then 5 seconds to connect. Can take up to a minute to fully reconnect.

spacer.png

David Schaap
Posted
Posted

Same issue here on EHAM_W_APP. Two times tonight. 

Posted
Posted

I think it's becoming pretty clear that something broke for everyone and if possible, this should be fixed. 

In any case, whilst this is a problem, I would recommend for everyone to open a new instance of EuroScope, and connect and control via proxy. The new instance should display "normal" behaviour, though you will have 2 instances of ES open.

• Like 1

C1-rated controller

Tony Koch
Posted
Posted (edited)

Can it be a coincidence that this issue has arisen since the Vatsim FSD server updates? It's an intermittent problem for me. Impossible to predict the onset so far. Which plugin might be creating a conflict?

Edited by Tony Koch

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

It has definitely occured more often since the FSD update, but it has been occuring before.

On 10/27/2021 at 8:51 AM, Niels de Roo said:

This also seems to occur when running e.g. an APP sweatbox scenario, where the callsign and fpdata don't match. At the moment that specific aircraft spawns in, the bug occurs.

So could it be that after the recent server update some flightplans are not decoded correctly and don't match the callsign?

Niels' response might be somewhere in the right direction where Vatsim tech staff might need to look (or Gregerly for ES). It can be done in the Sweatbox simulator with the above bug.

spacer.png

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted

Had this issue tonight as well after some CTR controllers in the vicinity connected. Checking their software version, they were the only ones using r29. So my initial guess would be this is yet another issue linked to the buggy r29 of EuroScope. But I might be wrong.

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted

I have seen this happen in r26 also.

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

The original poster uses B26.

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted

Maybe this was not clear enough. I use r26 myself, too. But the issues only started tonight when I had other controllers nearby using r29. I suspect their newer version has also an impact on my r26.

There are similar issues but with less impact, like duplication of ATIS letter update messages when using version from where the voice coded has been removed from.

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jonas Kuster said:

Maybe this was not clear enough. I use r26 myself, too. But the issues only started tonight when I had other controllers nearby using r29. I suspect their newer version has also an impact on my r26.

There are similar issues but with less impact, like duplication of ATIS letter update messages when using version from where the voice coded has been removed from.

ATIS letter is unreliable for like years now... 😛

Confirm, I experienced that recently on ACC sectors twice.

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

VATSIMer since 2009, IRL pilot rated.