You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New ATC Trainee

Silas Kean

Silas Kean
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

Just registered to join the network a few hours ago. Looking to become ATC certified and play with some of you fine people!

I passed my "New Member Orientation Test" and now am just waiting on a reply of acceptance for my account.

In the meantime, I am getting everything setup. In a video I just watched ( about software instillation) the video explained that EuroScope is  a really good software to use. However, he mentioned that it's really only meant for the European Region. They said to ask your local Region/Division what software you should be using, so here I am. What software should I be using for my division (Americas Region -> United States)?

Either a reply for what software or even just a video link would be helpful. 

You're all awesome,

Thanks so much!

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted

As soon as you're in the VATUSA discord server, you can expect there to be a heated discussion on this very topic at least once every other week. In the meantime, the typical progression is VRC for Delivery and Ground; vSTARS for Tower and TRACON positions; and vERAM for en route.

VRC is the most user-friendly and the least like any real-world system. vSTARS and vERAM were designed to mimic their real-world namesakes and, as a result, require a great deal of study (and playing with) in order to use them effectively.

• Like 1

Clemens Martin
Posted
Posted

VRC will be your initial ATC client in the U.S.

Clem

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clemens Martin said:

Is VRC not deprecated since May?

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Silas Kean
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for the replies! It really means a great deal and surely will help.

Ill definitely use all of this information to my advantage.

You're all awesome!

Thanks for the help!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Alistair Thomson said:

Incorrect -- we've been put on notice that the NEXT major update to the FSD protocol will likely render VRC incompatible.  It's perfectly usable until whatever time that happens.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Clemens Martin said:

Clem

A *FEW* US ARTCCs are doing initial training on vSTARS now.  So it depends on the facility one chooses.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Alistair Thomson said:

It's EOL (End-Of-Life) which is subtly different from deprecated. EOL means it won't receive any further updates. Deprecated means it is recommended to use something else. I can't really deprecate VRC until there is a suitable replacement. It won't be deprecated until I release CRC, which will replace VRC, vSTARS, and vERAM. (All three will be deprecated at that time.) It won't fully cease working until a change is made in the server that renders VRC unusable. At that time, VRC will be officially shut down. CRC will be released well before that day comes.

As a side note, soon after CRC is released, we will likely prevent vSTARS and vERAM from connecting to the network, in order to get everyone moved over to CRC, since CRC contains all the functionality of vSTARS and vERAM, so there will be no need for facility engineers to continue to maintain data files for those clients. The same is not true of VRC, since I will not be copying all of the functionality of VRC over to CRC. For example, any of the non-US radar modes, like TAAATS, will not be copied over, since ES and vatSys provide much better implementations of those modes.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Pablo Maciel
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

It's EOL (End-Of-Life) which is subtly different from deprecated. EOL means it won't receive any further updates. Deprecated means it is recommended to use something else. I can't really deprecate VRC until there is a suitable replacement. It won't be deprecated until I release CRC, which will replace VRC, vSTARS, and vERAM. (All three will be deprecated at that time.) It won't fully cease working until a change is made in the server that renders VRC unusable. At that time, VRC will be officially shut down. CRC will be released well before that day comes.

As a side note, soon after CRC is released, we will likely prevent vSTARS and vERAM from connecting to the network, in order to get everyone moved over to CRC, since CRC contains all the functionality of vSTARS and vERAM, so there will be no need for facility engineers to continue to maintain data files for those clients. The same is not true of VRC, since I will not be copying all of the functionality of VRC over to CRC. For example, any of the non-US radar modes, like TAAATS, will not be copied over, since ES and vatSys provide much better implementations of those modes.

Thank you Ross, we are looking forward to see CRC working online soon!

I have been a user of Euroscope since it was launched, it seems to me friendly to setup and use, but I have good memories of the VRC controlling and supervising online as well, such a great software.

Kind regards.

• 2 months later...
benjamin heidelberg
Posted
Posted

is it possible to get letters showing for gnd in vstarts?