You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Why bother folks who are flying VFR

James Mitchell

James Mitchell
Posted
Posted (edited)

Why did a controller out of Edmonton bother me when I was flying VFR when no aircraft was nearer than 200 nm of me?

Edited by James Mitchell
mispelt word
  • Haha 2

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

1: Were you in airspace requiring clerance or two-way radio coms? VFR doesn't mean you can do your own thing anywhere you like.

2: Why didn't you ask him on PM?

3: Why on earth would you fly on this network if you consider ATC a nuisance?

• Like 1

James Mitchell
Posted
Posted

I was trying to set up a new computer and you're right I think most ATC are a nuisance, ergo I'll no longer fly here.

• Haha 9
  • Confused 2

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, James Mitchell said:

I was trying to set up a new computer

Offline is a fantastic place to test things, not the middle of a class C airspace while on the network.

9 hours ago, James Mitchell said:

you're right I think most ATC are a nuisance, ergo I'll no longer fly here.

I honestly am not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but if you’re being serious, I’m sorry to say this but good riddance (mods feel free to delete this part of my message if it’s deemed to be a CoC violation). ATC are here to have fun in the same way you are so if you don’t ever want to interact with ATC or think that we’re always a nuisance, there is really no point to using VATSIM.

edit: that being said, I am always open to explaining things to pilots who don’t understand why a contactme was sent to them or answer any other questions they may have. ATC are also humans and we also make mistakes from time to time so being able to respectfully talk to them and work it out is always going to be the best option as only they really know why they did something.

tl;dr ATC is not an evil overlord trying to make your life miserable but we’re just here to have fun too. Don’t like it, leave.

Edited by Josh Jenk
  • Like 3

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I don't know about the other mods, but I'm not deleting it.... 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, James Mitchell said:

I was trying to set up a new computer and you're right I think most ATC are a nuisance, ergo I'll no longer fly here.

So, problem solved, then?

• Haha 2
23.png

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, James Mitchell said:

With an attitude like that, Thank God you'll no longer fly here!

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

I suppose that with 1.5 million members there will be some who can simply not be satisfied, no matter how hard we try.

• Like 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted

The controllers do a great job here, and I know I can count on them keeping separation between us so I don't get caught in your wake turbulence as you depart,  cya!

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted (edited)

Why did a controller out of Edmonton contact me when I was flying VFR?

Adding to previous:
while operating VFR, was the aircraft in airspace requiring clearance or two-way radio communications.

Pilots may consider:
1. Canadian domestic airspace table (class A through G)
For Class B, C, D ... VFR operations permitted with two-way radio communications, and/or additional clearance requirements.
i.e. in controlled airspace,  online ATC might send a contact request to VFR aircraft

2. For airspace (lateral and vertical), refer to information in NAV Canada's Designated Airspace Handbook,  [next issue]
including Edmonton FIR (section 3.2), Transition Areas, Control Area Extensions, Terminal Control Areas, Control Zones

-For information about 'who to contact', VATCAN's Edmonton FIR includes "View Our Airspace" map with ATC enroute position/frequencies.
-VATCAN's pilot-specific forum may also help for questions about VFR, airspace requirements or to learn "why did a controller contact an aircraft when flying VFR?"

Edited by Mike Sweeney
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

Zachary Collison
Posted
Posted
On 11/19/2021 at 3:37 PM, James Mitchell said:

Grabbing the popcorn for this one, someones trying to start something 😉 

Zachary Collison

[email protected]

CZYZ Webmaster

CZYZ-logo-blackret.png

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Zachary Collison said:

Grabbing the popcorn for this one,

Too late. James Mitchell has left the building...

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Yes, I think the show is over. Maybe he will come back at a later point in time and apologize, after he has realized how beautiful it is to fly with the HELP of ATC.

• Thanks 1

Thomas Smith
Posted
Posted

Darn, I guess I'm too late. Pity.

Thomas Smith - FIR Chief / Chief Instructor

ZEG-Banner-White.png

• 3 weeks later...
Tim Simpson
Posted
Posted
On 11/20/2021 at 11:11 AM, Alistair Thomson said:

I suppose that with 1.5 million members there will be some who can simply not be satisfied, no matter how hard we try.

LOL!  Only a teeny tiny percentage of that is actively flying on a regular basis.  Most of those are "dead" accounts.

• Matthew Bartels locked this topic