You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Is it easy to get into vatsim?

welsein mikein

welsein mikein
Posted
Posted (edited)

So I'd like to move to vatsim is it easy or hard I know cinema hd most of the stuff but I'm just scared to do something wrong

Edited by welsein mikein
Spelling mistake

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

VATSIM requires a lot of knowledge but if you say you know your stuff just give it a try. Nothing bad will happen if you make an honest mistake, just apologize, learn from it and carry on. It is recommended to pick a quieter airport for your first flights, so the controllers have more time and patience for you. Welcome!

KntU2Cw.jpg

Martijn Joon
Posted
Posted

Welcome indeed! 
I don’t know what your background is ofcourse. If you already familiar with phrases used because for example you are working on an airport right now or are a frequent plane spotter with an radio scanner on your head the step will be much easier then if you bought MSFS last weekend en decided that VATSIM might be a cool thing to try also 🙂

I started somewhere around 2011 virtual flying and it isn’t as hard as it looks like. Yes first couple of times it’s nerve wrecking but there are tutorials what you need to do, what you need to say and how you need to say. That way you can just write down the info the first couple of times in that tutorial so you can just read it out loud. After that it will become easier and more familiar. I picked it up again after an hiatus of 4 years and I have to say it’s like cycling: somehow I didn’t forget how to do it and it just came naturally again: that shows imo that it’s not THAT hard.

if you have questions just ask here or by text to the ATC (that way you won’t crowd open air and you can also read his/her answer at your speed)

regards,

Martijn

John Stockton
Posted
Posted

"Is it easy to get into vatsim?"  No.  Is it worth it? Absolutely. If you jump into something easy it gets boring fast. Jump into something that has a learning curve and you'll enjoy it for a long long time as well as building up some self pride from accomplishments. Welcome and enjoy. 

N313GM, P0: X-Plane 12.01r3, Windows 11, i7-13700k, RTX4080 (16GB), 32GB DDR4 4800

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

One thing I think is essential for a good experience with VATSIM is, that you are comfortable flying the plane of your choice: Know how to handle it, know its systems etc. It is then much easier to step into the VATSIM environment, which is a bit dawnting at first - but we've all been greenhorns and we still make mistakes :-) But in the end it is very rewarding. But if you don't know how to handle your plane atc might get a bit tired of you - it is not their job to fly the plane for you, and having a pilot turning right instead of left, doesn't stick to assigned altitude etc - well, don't try to do it during an event at a busy airport. Otherwise,you'll always be welcome to ask for a session with a controller and he'll guide you thu the maze.

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

The best way to get over the fear that you will make an embarrassing mistake is to just accept the fact that on the first handful of flights you make, YES, you definitely WILL make embarassing mistakes.  Most of us did at first.  Many of us still do, eleven years in.  I pray they're less frequent than they used to be, but some days I can't be sure.

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr
  • Thanks 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png