You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VR Users - ATC instructions written down?

Franco Gravante

Franco Gravante
Posted
Posted (edited)

I’m new to Vatsim,  first day, have not been online at all. 
I have hesitated to try this because I pilot in VR on MSFS for 100% of my flights and as of yet I do not have a solution for writing down ATC instructions. 
in MSFS, the game’s ATC instruction is provided in text so I can reference it…but I take it that is not the case in vatsim.

Does anyone ave a solution, or any advise on how to manage this when pressed? 
I do not want to become a nuisance asking  “say again”.

thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Franco Gravante

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

You can state your preference for text only by using /t in your flight plan. Then you would use the keyboard to send messages and you'd receive text instructions.

• Like 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted

Or you can simply say, "Say again."

44 minutes ago, Franco Gravante said:

I do not want to become a nuisance asking  “say again”.

I (and practically every controller here) have no qualms repeating myself to ensure there are no misunderstandings.

• Like 1

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

There's no real proven method to get better at ATC communications other than experience.  What I would recommend is to bite the bullet and start doing some flights under voice comms, but just make sure you are starting in regions where there are controllers but not too many planes -- where a few "say again"s won't bother anybody.  The more you do it, the better you get at knowing what to expect next, which makes comprehending the radio transmissions a lot easier.

• Like 2

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Rob has nailed it. The bottom line is that you are trying to emulate real-world pilots on VATSIM. That means having skills and techniques which help you to work effectively with ATC, and as Rob said that only comes with experience.

Every RW pilot has a kneeboard and copies instructions down on it in short-form. A pilot never gets text (apart from CPDLC) and if your sim sort of gets in the way of you being able to do what a RW pilot does because you're using VR, I really don't see how VR helps if it also makes flying less realistic... I suppose it's the old debate about "as real as it gets" vs "it's just a game."

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Mike Teague
Posted
Posted

ive noticed some real world airline pilots/twitch streamers will use the fms' cdu scratchpad to copy down clearances (in some sort of shorthand) so that may work for you in VR

• Like 2

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

Isn't there some way you can conjure up a text editor or some such in VR? Idk., I've never done VR myself, but surely there must be something available?

23.png

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

I know vPilot has a "kneeboard" on one of the tabs for typing out notes if you have a way of accessing it while in VR

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller