You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

P3D 5.3 freezing when flying online around big airports

Robert Lee

Robert Lee
Posted
Posted

Troubleshooting freezing of the sim and endless pausing making flying online impossible. At cruise and climb out approaching a big airport like Frankfurt, Zurich, Heathrow the sim is unflyable. I logged off vatsim and the sim went back to normal. Each of these airports have SODE VDGS if that matters, could vPilot (latest beta I use) be combined to tie up simconnect or similar?

Robert Lee
Posted
Posted

Logged back in when far away from the airports and the sim is smooth!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I doubt that it's a conflict between vPilot and SODE, since many people use them together without issues.

What do you use for model matching?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Robert Lee
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ross Carlson said:

I doubt that it's a conflict between vPilot and SODE, since many people use them together without issues.

What do you use for model matching?

Old FLAi and P3D 5.3 is the time it started. Thousands of hours in previous P3D versions operated normally. The connection is the big airports that have sode and vgds.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Was it fine in P3D 5.2 or were you previously using an even older version?

Robert Lee
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

Was it fine in P3D 5.2 or were you previously using an even older version?

Every previous p3d 5 version is fine

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I guess they changed something in 5.3. I haven't tried it myself yet.

Robert Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

I guess they changed something in 5.3. I haven't tried it myself yet.

Can I troubleshoot to make it easier to find the cause... a log file or something? Really like to get it fixed.... Thanks for any help!

Not on the ground it happens once in the air and in about a 50 mile radius from an airport Aerosoft EGLL, EDDF, so far and possibly Zurich

Edited by Robert Lee

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The only thing I can suggest is to temporarily disable the airport add-ons to see if it truly is an issue with SODE.

Robert Lee
Posted
Posted

Removing my airports or sode does not sound fun is there another thing I can try? I passed over an airport that has just sode, after logging back in leaving Frankfurt region, and the sim did not freeze.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

You don't have to uninstall them, just disable them in the add-ons list. (I'm assuming they are installed as proper add-ons and not just dumped in the scenery folder with the stock scenery.)

Robert Lee
Posted
Posted

I had a couple minutes to quickly setup a flight before I left and the same problem, departed and pausing and stuttering started, then disconnected and closed vpilot and the sim returned to normal. I do not see this as any issue except caused by vpilot?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Robert Lee said:

I do not see this as any issue except caused by vpilot?

Well, vPilot is certainly involved, but the fact that it worked fine in every other version of P3D (and in FSX and MSFS) suggests that it's "caused" by something that they changed in P3D v5.3.

Have you tried disabling the add-ons yet?

Robert Lee
Posted
Posted

Not home but late last night it also happened after departing in another area as I approached Orbx Bilbao and continued all through Spain as I cruised south. so am I supposed to disable all my scenery not flying to and sode also?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm just suggesting disabling all add-ons because it's an easy way to quickly check if one of the add-ons is causing the issue. If that's the case, you can re-enable your add-ons one-by-one to see which one is the culprit.

Again, I'm suggesting disabling the add-ons, not uninstalling them.

Victor Cardoso Laureano
Posted
Posted

I've suffered similar issues around EDDF (twice the sim would freeze for about 30 seconds) and today the SIM completely frooze/crash over LSGG trying to set squawk in FSLabs A320. But I'm new to VATSIM and that can be a coincidence. I haven't see this issues when flying offline. 

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Just to rule out user error -- can you both confirm that you have NOT selected some high-end add-on as either (a) your default model-match or (b) a match for a very common aircraft model such as the A320 or B738?  If you fly over an airport and suddenly your sim is trying to spawn in 30 PMDG 738's, that could easily be a framerate-killer.  Make sure only low-poly AI models are used for matching.

Might not be the cause, but, just a thought of something you might check.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Robert Lee
Posted
Posted

It was scenery with P3D5.3 freezing with sloped runways sorry!