You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

1st Session. AFV does not connect to Sweatbox?

David McClure

David McClure
Posted
Posted

AFV does not connect to Sweatbox? Guessing, it is not supposed to. How do I communicate with mentor? Typing and PM seems very slow way to teach and learn. 

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Every facility handles training a little differently.  Suggest you ask your mentor. 🙂

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

David McClure
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the response. I guess my main question is, Does the app "Audio For Vatsim" work with sweatbox?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I cannot answer that definitively or not.  However, I cannot think of any kind of use case where AFV would ever need to connect to the Sweatbox.  AFV allows online pilots and ATC to talk to each other via voice.  Since Sweatbox is a server that simply allows target generation and manipulation, you don't talk to those pseudo-aircraft, nor are there any pilots in those aircraft/targets that will be talking to you.  As such, I would not be surprised if the definitive answer is "No, AFV does not work in the Sweatbox."  I believe that is likely the answer, but I'm not an expert in that area.

I am quite certain you will communicate with your mentor over voice, using a tool like Teamspeak or Discord or similar.  Again, you can find that information out from your mentor and/or facility.

• Like 1

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted

I can confirm that AFV does not work on Sweatbox. Both for the reasons that Don pointed out above, as well as the times when I may (or may not) have forgotten to set my radar client's server back to a VATSIM server and wondered why AFV wasn't working. At my facility, all of our voice needs for Sweatbox training are handled via Discord; your results may vary. 

• Like 2