You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Issue with incoming audio

Kevin Finch

Kevin Finch
Posted
Posted

I'm using P3DV4.5 on a one-year old Ryzen-based PC, Win10 Pro 21H2. Audio drivers are current, as is VPilot.

My sim sounds go to my Logitech 2.1 speakers and my ATC/traffic audio comes through my USB Logitech headset. Discord through the cans, too, if I'm logged into it.

In VPilot, my output device is Speakers (Logitech USB Headset) and my input device is Microphone (Logitech USB Headset). "Disable realistic ATC audio effects" is not checked. The output volume is all the way to the right (+18). My Mic volume is +5. The volume control on the headset is up full - 100%.

About 85% of the time, the controllers are bordering on inaudible. Several times, the controller and other aircraft are very low but other aircraft can come through 5x5. Everyone I talk with in Discord is perfectly audible and no one has reported not being able to hear me. Windows' troubleshooting test works fine, too.

I usually use the Canada server but switching to USA-East does not resolve the issue.

Everything worked fine until late summer...

Thoughts, anyone?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

First, I stronly recommend setting output in vPilot to +0 or lower.  Setting it above 0 will result in the periodic ear-screeching distortion effect which has plagued so many.

Second, check through the "Properties" on each of your audio devices within Windows and make sure that NONE of them are set to "allow applications to have exclusive control of this device."

Third, make sure you're testing where you are CLOSE to the controller.  You mention some aircraft come through loud.  AFV simulates distance attenuation, so if you're on the ground somewhere far away from controllers, you best bet they will come through low and staticky.  (i.e. not a bug, but a feature.)

Finally, note that the AFV (voice) server is completely separate from the FSD (position, text messaging, and flight information) server.  So regardless of which FSD server you select from the connection menu, voice will work exactly the same.

Hope that helps get you started.  Report back with findings and hopefully someone else can give you some more advice based on what you discover.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Kevin Finch
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Rob.

I put the first and second points into action and will report back after my next flight. Further on point two, I disabled all the audio enhancements - bass boost, spatial sound, etc.

I know this isn't distance attenuation. It has happened at delivery, ground, tower and approach of airports where I was. When I'm at an airport hearing one or two pilots perfectly but tower is a whisper, and then approach is 4x5, I'm not ruling out the tower controller doesn't have their mic properly set up.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Kevin Finch said:

It has happened at delivery, ground, tower and approach of airports where I was.

Okay, yep, I agree then.  Not distance related.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Kevin Finch
Posted
Posted

Did a complete uninstall/reinstall of vPilot and everything works perfectly. :-)