You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

INVALID ICAO codes on FS2020-Caution!

Andrea Mazzoni

Andrea Mazzoni
Posted
Posted

Hello VATSimmers,

as a ATC from Italy, recently I found some flight plans, mainly from foreign users, which has planned as destination an amazing and challenging uncontrolled airfield in Italy. This airfield, knowed as Locher Airfield (from the name of the owner of the airfield and of the factory of anti-fire doors located few meters closer to the runway) or Sarentino airfield (from the city where is located). The problem with these flight plans are that usually, is sended an ICAO code for this airfield. But in real life, this place doesn't have any ICAO code (expecially a code LOCH, which technically, seems more an Austrian Code than an Italian Code, I know that Trentino Alto Adige is a region divided for historical reasons, but the closer Bolzano Airport today have as code LIPB).

I think, probably, that on FS2020 it could be definetely possible that some uncontrolled airfield which in real life doesn't have any code, on this simulator was provided with a fake code from Microsoft and Asobo. In these cases, best thing to do is, instead use any ICAO code indicated from FS2020, is better use ZZZZ as departure or arrival airport (whatever is your intention, if you're departing or you will land there in Sarentino will be always challenging), and on remark section, add the diciture DEP/NAME OF LOCATION and/or DEST/NAME OF LOCATION, as ICAO indicate to do for flight plainning purpose.

Is happened also during your ATC session something like this? Anyway, Hope that it was helpful for who love VFR flights!

Sometimes things get complicated. ATC on VATSIM as Milano Radar (LIMM_N_CTR) Twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/italianalien21