You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC Term Help

Jeff Bray

Jeff Bray
Posted
Posted

On a recent flight ATC advised me to "cross sector" at 3500 feet. What does "crossing sectors" mean? I appreciate the help!

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

I wonder if you maybe misheard or misunderstood what the controller was trying to say. Sounds like there might have been a similarly named FIX/NAVAID along your flight plan (probably on the STAR or the IAF) that they wanted you to cross at 3500’. Where did you hear this and what phase of flight were you in?

It’s possible that they wanted you to cross into the adjacent ATC sector at a certain altitude but that would be the first time I’ve heard it. I mostly fly in NA though so I can’t speak for every country/division/FIR.

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Jeff Bray
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the response. It was during my final approach to Gainesville airport in Georgia. I was too high when I crossed Atlanta Center into Atlanta approach for my final descent. ATC gave me vectors to go around which is when I heard what I thought was “cross sector”. I was still heading east away from the airport at the time with the vector ATC gave. They did not give me a new vector after that. I did look for other similarly named FIX/NAVAID but it didn’t seem there was one. I easily could have missed it though since I’m new to everything.

Alex Ying
Posted
Posted

The best thing to do in these situations is to ask the controller for clarification. If you don't understand any instruction that you've been issued, it will make everyone happier if you ask for clarification.

"Say again?"

"I don't understand, please say again slowly or in text"

Controllers will be happier that you told us that you couldn't do something or didn't understand something rather than just continuing on and us discovering later that you don't know what you agreed to do.

There's not enough information in your question to piece together what the controller meant, so it's best to just ask when it happens

• Like 1

spacer.png

Instructor // ZNY/ZWY Facility Coordinator

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted
On 12/24/2021 at 9:01 AM, Alex Ying said:

The best thing to do in these situations is to ask the controller for clarification. If you don't understand any instruction that you've been issued, it will make everyone happier if you ask for clarification.

"Say again?"

"I don't understand, please say again slowly or in text"

Controllers will be happier that you told us that you couldn't do something or didn't understand something rather than just continuing on and us discovering later that you don't know what you agreed to do.

There's not enough information in your question to piece together what the controller meant, so it's best to just ask when it happens

If there was one thing I wish every pilot would take away from the new member orientation on VATSIM, it's this. I have never once been upset about having to repeat something, spell something out, or change my plans if a pilot requests it, but it is extraordinarily frustrating when a pilot accepts a clearance they cannot comply with and says nothing.