You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Release new reworked vPilot

Alexander Streumer

Alexander Streumer
Posted
Posted

Dear VATsim members and staff,

I've seen/heard about the new network for vPilot that would up the game to a more immersive and realistic experience allowing us to check out planes 1 on 1 without delay (as well as on the radar for ATC) instead of with the current delay as we know it.

I haven't seen or heard about it anymore and was wondering if someone could enlighten me on any release date or progress so far.

Thanks in advance and happy days and a new year!

- Alex

Jacob Boyles
Posted
Posted

I believe you are speaking about Velocity, which is the new effort to reduce the refresh rate to 5 Hz.

Next week we are scheduling a final test for Velocity to ensure it can handle the load of many hundred pilots.

Pending the success of that test, Velocity should be released shortly after.

If you would like to signup for alpha access you can go to https://velocity.vatsim.net/

• Like 1
JACOB BOYLES
Senior Developer
## [email protected]
Facebook     Twitter     Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Alexander Streumer said:

new network for vPilot

To prevent possible confusion, this isn't a "new network for vPilot" ... it's an update to the VATSIM servers and all clients, not just vPilot.

• Like 2

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Alexander Streumer
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

To prevent possible confusion, this isn't a "new network for vPilot" ... it's an update to the VATSIM servers and all clients, not just vPilot.

Apologies for the description of what it should've been, thanks for the info

Alexander Streumer
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jacob Boyles said:

I believe you are speaking about Velocity, which is the new effort to reduce the refresh rate to 5 Hz.

Next week we are scheduling a final test for Velocity to ensure it can handle the load of many hundred pilots.

Pending the success of that test, Velocity should be released shortly after.

If you would like to signup for alpha access you can go to https://velocity.vatsim.net/

I can't wait for the result of that and I'll be happy to sign up for it. It will be, hopefully, so much more fun to experience a more immersive interaction between planes. Thanks for the info

• 1 month later...
Maxwell Symons
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hope it doesn't go the same way as the "reworked" XPilot which has become a real PITA.

One can only create a flightplan up to 2 hours in advance, and one has to open up a web page to file the plan. - An Utter nause for 2 reasons: -

I used to be able to create and save the flight plan when I had a few minutes to spare. - Now I can only do so 2 hours before flying, not a few days or weeks in advance! (Or even revisit a flight I did last year!)

I have to reboot if I've used a browser before flying, otherwise the sim crashes, so if I have a spare half hour to go flying this cuts a good 5 minutes off my flying time - so it's often not worth it anymore.

So well done the "Bright spark" who dreamed up this moronic idea - if you really wanted to reduce the enjoyment of flying on-line you have really succeeded!

I have complained about this, but got the answer that indicates it was for "ease of design". As a retired design engineer I know this is just an excuse for "I'm too lazy to do the job properly" - engineers who had that attitude were quickly "shown the door"!

(Net result is I've had to give up using X-Plane and just use FSX. If VPilot and Swift go the same way it will be a real shame.)

Edited by Maxwell Symons
  • Confused 1

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Maxwell Symons said:

One can only create a flightplan up to 2 hours in advance, and one has to open up a web page to file the plan. - An Utter nause for 2 reasons: -

I used to be able to create and save the flight plan when I had a few minutes to spare. - Now I can only do so 2 hours before flying, not a few days or weeks in advance! (Or even revisit a flight I did last year!)

Think you've got the wrong end of the stick here - if you file a flight plan via the web interface, it's retained for 2 hours before being dropped.  I regularly boot up my sim then flight plan (via SimBrief) while it loads then use the link within there to launch and auto-populate the pre-file form.  Once I hit submit, I connect, within seconds, and I show online in VATSpy et al with my flightplan against my name/callsign.

Trevor Hannant

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

I have to reboot if I've used a browser before flying, otherwise the sim crashes

Maybe you need to look into this problem instead of complaining because that sounds like a really weird issue...

KntU2Cw.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

So well done the "Bright spark" who dreamed up this moronic idea

Insulting the developers is a great way to raise awareness of your plight. Well done.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Clemens Martin
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

Insulting the developers is a great way to raise awareness of your plight. Well done.

Don't worry Ross. I guess this guy is the next xyzPilot developer who can do it way better 😉 I am waiting for his 1st release... You're doing an amazing job for all the VATSIM software!

Alexander Streumer
Posted
Posted

Guys come on. Perhaps not the right choice of words but everyone giving their opinion like that against this user isn't very civil. Keep it warm so we can all share our questions and subjects! 😊

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ummm "not the right choice of words"? He was actually being extremely rude... while nobody has been rude to him.

Edited by Dace Nicmane
KntU2Cw.jpg

Clemens Martin
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Dace Nicmane said:

Ummm "not the right choice of words"? He was actually being extremely rude... while nobody has been rude to him.

exactly.

Alexander Streumer
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dace Nicmane said:

Yet it is definitely a warm and welcoming community supposedly, compared to some that I'm used to.. which are 200% worse, trust me.

I feel you and it is a form of disrespect for sure. But everyone posting a negative quote pushing him into the ground doesn't make us any better than he might be. 

We've spilled our words, let's get back to the subject shall we? 😊

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Alexander Streumer said:

Yet it is definitely a warm and welcoming community

Yes we are. 😇 And because we've been so tolerant, you shouldn't be calling us out like that.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Alexander Streumer
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Dace Nicmane said:

Yes we are. 😇 And because we've been so tolerant, you shouldn't be calling us out like that.

Great, and I'm most definitely not.

Enjoy your weekend 👍🏻

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

You too. 🤝

• Like 1
KntU2Cw.jpg