You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Using ZOOM with VATSIM

Mark Ostheimer

Mark Ostheimer
Posted
Posted

Hello, Everyone,

This may be an unusual question, but I recently connected on ZOOM (using screen sharing) with a fellow simmer to show him what VATSIM ATC is all about. The computer sounds were being heard by my friend, but not the VATSIM communications through vPilot.

Is there a way to allow ZOOM (or some other screen sharing app, perhaps) to hear the ATC communications from vPilot? I thought this was going to work and finally convince my friend to join VATSIM, but all he could hear were the MSFS2020 sounds, not ATC.

Any suggestions?

Mark

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Did you have the ATC audio coming from a device other than your default output device?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Mark Ostheimer
Posted
Posted

Ross,

The audio output was set to my Sound Blaster speakers. I was connected to my headset and microphone via the audio jacks on the desktop PC, as i usually do when doing a flight on VATSIM. The sound will automatically switch from speakers to headset when plugged in.

The other options in vPilot for audio output are: 

SPDIF-Out

Digital Audio (S/PDIF)

(I am using a Sound Blaster  Z audio card in my setup).

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Do the MSFS sounds and ATC audio come through the same audio device?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

While I think putting both the sim and the comms in the default output should work, another way to showcase VATSIM is to find pilots and controllers who livestream their VATSIM activities on YouTube or Twitch... 😉

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Mark Ostheimer
Posted
Posted

I was conducting a test flight and wanted to demonstrate the pilot/ ATC communications that happens with VATSIM. If livestream is the only other option, then so be it.

To answer Ross’s question above, yes both the sim and vPilot are coming through the same audio device.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Mark Ostheimer said:

yes both the sim and vPilot are coming through the same audio device.

Then I have no idea why Zoom wouldn't pick up both.

Mark Ostheimer
Posted
Posted

Ok I’ll keep experimenting and let you know if I’m successful or not. It may be a ZOOM setting that’s wrong also.

Thanks to all!