You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Transmit Voice Nearly Unreadable by ATC

Cody Cochran

Cody Cochran
Posted
Posted

Good afternoon all,

First some background information on my setup:

• vPilot Version: 2.8.4
    • Microphone and Output device are set properly
    • Mic Volume setting set a +3
    • Disable realistic ATC audio effects is unchecked
  • System Setup: Windows 11
    • Rode Pod Mic connected to a GoXLR via XLR cable
  • Discord, TS3, and all other platforms have no issues and the my voice is buttery smooth.

Over my past few flights, ATC has reported that my voice is nearly unreadable and I have listened to it first hand via a Twitch Feed from a controller, it's bad... I do not think it has anything to do with my distance from ATC transceiver sites as I've tested this on the ground as well as in the air. 

I have tried nearly everything I can think of to fix this as it only occurs when using vPilot and AudioForVATSIM.

Below is the audio configuration from the vPilotConfig.xml

<InputDeviceName>Chat Mic (TC-Helicon GoXLR)</InputDeviceName>
  <OutputDeviceName>Music (TC-Helicon GoXLR)</OutputDeviceName>
  <OutputVolume>75</OutputVolume>
  <MicSquelch>200</MicSquelch>
  <InputVolumeDb>12</InputVolumeDb>
  <OutputVolumeDb>0</OutputVolumeDb>
  <EnableVHFSimulation>true</EnableVHFSimulation>
  <DisableAudioEffects>false</DisableAudioEffects>

Side note: This is also an issue when I control using VRC and AudioForVATSIM clients.

Please let me know if anyone would like any other information. I appreciate the help in advance!

Cody Cochran

VATSIM Supervisor

c.cochran[at]vatsim.net

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Cody, do you have airplane engine noise blaring in the background when this happens?  I found that with a cheap headset mic, I was able to run aircraft sounds in speakers and ATC would hear my voice over the aircraft noise somewhat realistically.  When I upgraded to a studio-quality mic, for whatever reason the mix of the aircraft sounds and my voice plus whatever compression or other signal processing it was trying to do did NOT work at all.  Had to put the aircraft noise back into the headset, much as I cried tears of emotional loss for having to do so.

Not sure if that helps you. but, best of luck.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• 3 weeks later...
Cody Cochran
Posted
Posted

Thanks Robert, I've tried just about everything I know and its still bad. This only started happening recently and only effect vPilot and AFV (while controlling).

Still looking for some help 😞

Cody Cochran

VATSIM Supervisor

c.cochran[at]vatsim.net

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

I read some time ago that some ASUS motherboard sound drivers could cause vPilot issues and there was a patch available.   Even if  you don't have an ASUS board, it may be worth reinstalling the audio drivers anyway even if only to eliminate them as a cause.

Andrew

Cody Cochran
Posted
Posted

Thanks Andrew, I'll look into that. I'm running an MSI motherboard, but still worth a shot.

I've also discovered that this issue only occurs when my active application is P3D. Ex: If my mouse is active in the P3D application, voice is distorted and nearly unreadable. If I click out of P3D, say into the vPilot application, it sounds fine...

Cody Cochran

VATSIM Supervisor

c.cochran[at]vatsim.net

Cody Cochran
Posted
Posted

Problem solved I think. With my GoXLR setup, it comes with its own audio drivers. I guess when I ran a driver updater tool I have, it installed some Realtek Audio Drivers. Uninstalled two of those and now voice is perfect. Looks like the Realtek Drivers were fighting with the GoXLR drivers...

Cody Cochran

VATSIM Supervisor

c.cochran[at]vatsim.net