You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What is VATSIM's procedure of entering a Restricted Area?

• restricted

Joey Cao

Joey Cao
Posted
Posted

My friend and I are planning to do a flyover at Kennedy Space Center (KTTS) two days later. We are fully aware that the Space Center is a Restricted Area (R-2932, R-2933, R-2934, R-2935), but in real life a Restricted Area can be flown in if the area is cold. What would the procedure be like to fly into those areas on VATSIM, in case there is no tower (or in case there is approach at Orlando)?

Our full flight plan will be as follow:

Taking off from Orlando Exec (KORL), fly under the Bravo Airspace of Orlando International, DIRECT KTTS, request low approach over KTTS, then land at Merritt Island (COI), then north to Daytona across R-2935, then back to Orlando.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

If no controllers are on, assume the area is "cold."

If a controller covering that area is on, request entry into the restricted area.  Most likely the controller will respond that it's approved.  I guess it's up to each individual controller to decide whether they want to simulate that it's active, but, I can't imagine one denying the request if you make it.

Worst-case, don't forget that you can always perform the flight offline, where no one can tell you what you may or may not do.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Joey Cao
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

If no controllers are on, assume the area is "cold."

If a controller covering that area is on, request entry into the restricted area.  Most likely the controller will respond that it's approved.  I guess it's up to each individual controller to decide whether they want to simulate that it's active, but, I can't imagine one denying the request if you make it.

Worst-case, don't forget that you can always perform the flight offline, where no one can tell you what you may or may not do.

Understood. Thank you so much!