You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

I'm new and I have a question.

William Wood

William Wood
Posted
Posted

Diving back into flight sim after a few years hiatus. Vatsim looks like a ton of fun. Flying a bit offline just to get my skills back up first.

I have a question about the ATC.

On the map it looks like the USA has great coverage for enroute centers at the moment.

But what if I have to fly through an area with no coverage? There's planes doing it right now. What's the procedure? Who do you contact with your intentions?  

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted

The short answer is use UNICOM by tuning your radio to 122.8,  listen out for other aircraft in your area and announce your intentions...for a more detailed explaination,  I suggest watching this video though.

Welcome to the community and hope you have many a happy flight

• Like 1

William Wood
Posted
Posted

@John McMurdo

Thank you! I'll check out the video. I was watching some of his other stuff too. He's great

Going through the new member orientation now and it just mentioned UNICOM as well.

Thanks again

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted

Your welcome.  Yes his channel is great,  I have watched a lot of his videos too.

john charles
Posted
Posted

if you depart with no service and encounter no centre on route its unicom and give yourself a ident in f/plan..If service becomes active they can identify quickly..This is my routine..

john charles
Posted
Posted

upon charlie/bravo or any airspaces, transmit intentions and also a e.t.a will help a lot for guys ready to depart..