You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Loud Distortion - Realistic ATC Audio

Frans van Santbrink

Frans van Santbrink
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi guys.

So I've tried searching for an answer to this problem to no avail. It's a weird one. Whenever Realistic ATC Audio is enabled in vPilot, sometimes I get this weird, loud distortion from incoming transmissions. It's ridiculously loud and actually hurts my ears. Once I disable Realistic ATC Audio, it never happens.

I can't seem to figure out why or what causes it. I came across this topic with the same issue, but no solution. For me, I managed to capture the issue on my most recent flight. This time it was so bad I had to just permanently disable Realistic ATC Audio. Normally it would happen once in a while so I'd live with it, but this time pretty much all transmissions had the issue.

The issue is at the 1:50 mark in the following video.

Hoping someone can provide some insight

Thanks,

Edited by Frans van Santbrink
  • Like 1

UKV4985.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

In the Pilot Client settings, lower the output volume to less than halfway up the scale (if it's 0-100, make it 50 or less -- if it has positive and negative values, set it to something negative).  Then reduce your sim sounds or otherwise rebalance the rest of your sounds against the resulting COM audio.

This will probably not completely eliminate the issue -- but for most people, including myself, it has greatly reduced the incidence.

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Frans van Santbrink
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

In the Pilot Client settings, lower the output volume to less than halfway up the scale (if it's 0-100, make it 50 or less -- if it has positive and negative values, set it to something negative).  Then reduce your sim sounds or otherwise rebalance the rest of your sounds against the resulting COM audio.

This will probably not completely eliminate the issue -- but for most people, including myself, it has greatly reduced the incidence.

Thanks for that tip. I'll give it a shot.

I've also started wondering whether switching to the Beta release channel will make any difference?

UKV4985.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure AFV has a Beta of any kind.  vPilot is simply employing the AFV engine.  The AFV issue is across all platforms/clients.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Frans van Santbrink
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Don Desfosse said:

I'm not sure AFV has a Beta of any kind.  vPilot is simply employing the AFV engine.  The AFV issue is across all platforms/clients.

Ah okay. Wasn't sure how it worked, thought the feature was built into vPilot, but I understand now. Thanks.

• Like 1

UKV4985.png

Frans van Santbrink
Posted
Posted
On 1/18/2022 at 4:33 PM, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Sorry for the double post but just wanted to confirm this really worked. Just did a 4 and a half hour flight with basically full ATC start to end and that issue never happened even once. Thanks!

• Like 1

UKV4985.png

Alexander Holland
Posted
Posted

Can confirm that lowering the volume in vPilot eliminates the issue.

Have mine on 0 now, no incidents so far.

• Like 1