You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Allow modified ATIS callsign connect

Mateusz Zymla

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Euroscope for now allows only to connect exact matching of ICAO_ATIS instance of the ATIS. It would be helpful if other callsigns were allowed (MEM_ATIS or LLBG_A_ATIS).

Thanks.

• Like 2

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

VATSIMer since 2009, IRL pilot rated.

Bernardo Reis
Posted
Posted

Indeed it would be useful to remove the limit on the callsign.

It would allow for a controller to open a DEP ATIS and another an ARR ATIS.

Dawid Reszel
Posted
Posted

We could benefit from that. Separate departure and arrival ATISes are becoming more and more common at major airports.

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

One potential problem is lack of frequencies. At VATSIM we don't have as many frequencies as in real lift, as older Flightsims does not support 8khz freq.

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Torben Andersen said:

One potential problem is lack of frequencies. At VATSIM we don't have as many frequencies as in real lift, as older Flightsims does not support 8khz freq.

To be precise, only FS9 (Not supported anymore) and P3D pre-v4 does not support 8.33 kHz channel spacing. I hear the "older sim argument" way too many times already. It used to be something regular to have an audio panel within FSInn back in FS9. I don't get it why vPilot couldn't integrate such thing for older users. We don't even get proper 25 kHz (.720 instead of .725, even though unofficial testing showed it works just fine). As the navigraph survey shows, Sims without 833 support usage is marginal. image.png.95b709473bfdc333fbddf459c557a91c.png

I would love to bring that to broader attention to technical team. I am afraid, though, as it's strictly European issue, it may not be on proper priority list position to be introduced.

Edited by Mateusz Zymla

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mateusz Zymla said:

only FS9 (Not supported anymore)

Just a quick correction, FS9 is still supported through swift, as is FlightGear. Both are still very low usage, though.

1 hour ago, Mateusz Zymla said:

I don't get it why vPilot couldn't integrate such thing for older users.

It certainly could.

• Like 2

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Christoph Reule
Posted
Posted

Permanently referring to "older" sims (especially FS9) should be no "excuse" for VATSIM (in general) to at least evaluate the introduction of 8.33 kHz spacing, IMO...

As said above, most sims used on the network do support this, and the "rest" could have an audio panel as mentioned above.

And as a side note, if IVAO can manage this (for a quite long time now) I'm absolutely sure VATSIM can manage as well...

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

Just a quick correction, FS9 is still supported through swift, as is FlightGear. Both are still very low usage, though.

It certainly could.

Sorry for the FS9, thanks for clarifying.

59 minutes ago, Christoph Reule said:

Permanently referring to "older" sims (especially FS9) should be no "excuse" for VATSIM (in general) to at least evaluate the introduction of 8.33 kHz spacing, IMO...

As said above, most sims used on the network do support this, and the "rest" could have an audio panel as mentioned above.

And as a side note, if IVAO can manage this (for a quite long time now) I'm absolutely sure VATSIM can manage as well...

Just my 2 cents.

I didn't want to mention different networks but yes, even IVAO did it.

AFV team always says it's not an AFV limitation however, it's not their responsibility to do so but the technical team. Maybe we don't need to create another topic, is there anybody here who could be mentioned to further discuss it? @Ross Carlson? And if so, I can post a new thread if it's needed. I think that entire European community will be willing to help!

Edited by Mateusz Zymla
  • Like 1

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Please don't forget that this may lead to issues for those pilots who want to uplink ATIS information through their CPDLC-clients. As far as I know, those applications are looking for ATIS-information being provided through the format "ICAO_ATIS".

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Please don't forget that this may lead to issues for those pilots who want to uplink ATIS information through their CPDLC-clients. As far as I know, those applications are looking for ATIS-information being provided through the format "ICAO_ATIS".

In Poland there's no D-ATIS available anyways 😄 

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Although this is not the point...

Some software already allows to connect it this way. if we made it clear this would be acceptable way of logging ATIS, 3rd party apps would need to adjust.

We do not have officially VATSIM-recognized CPDLC client, though.

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

What would be the benefit of having a separate departure and arrival ATIS, at VATSIM. In the real world, it is clear, although even there I don't see the point at many airports where they are offered separately.

Bernardo Reis
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

What would be the benefit of having a separate departure and arrival ATIS, at VATSIM. In the real world, it is clear, although even there I don't see the point at many airports where they are offered separately.

It would be the same in VATSIM.
Shorter ATIS messages. If you include elements of arrival and departure ATIS on the same one, it can get really big.

Not all ATIS are the same and have the same information, but it would come in handy in a lot of places.

Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted

VATSIM recommends that ATIS should be within 1 minute. In China, in real life, combining the information of departures and arrivals may more than 5 minutes. If they are separated, this time will be greatly shortened. On the other hand, it will be more realistic. 🤣 If VATSIM really allows separate 2 ATIS, which is one ATC can open up to 2 ATIS, that would be a very nice feature.

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Hongye Rudi Zhang said:

If VATSIM really allows separate 2 ATIS, which is one ATC can open up to 2 ATIS, that would be a very nice feature.

Well, there's not technical limitation that airport cannot have 2 ATISes, AFAIK. Just one controller can host only 1 ATIS, hence your departure ATIS would need to be hosted by one controller, while arrival ATIS by another.

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Based on this thread, we are having discussions about the possibility, and weighing benefit to the network vs. the increased cost.

• Like 3

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Mateusz Zymla said:

Well, there's not technical limitation that airport cannot have 2 ATISes, AFAIK. Just one controller can host only 1 ATIS, hence your departure ATIS would need to be hosted by one controller, while arrival ATIS by another.

well I think it should be possible if someone is willing to change XDXD

7 minutes ago, Don Desfosse said:

Based on this thread, we are having discussions about the possibility, and weighing benefit to the network vs. the increased cost.

If this alone increases a lot of cost then i think it may not be necessary

Bernardo Reis
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Don Desfosse said:

Thanks for considering it!

One step closer to network modernization and evolution. Add 8.33kHz and mode S EHS and you would make all the vACCs happy for many years to come 😄

Speaking of costs, not all airports have it, and it would still be limited to online places so hopefully the toll is not that big.

• Like 1

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Bernardo Reis said:

Thanks for considering it!

One step closer to network modernization and evolution. Add 8.33kHz and mode S EHS and you would make all the vACCs happy for many years to come 😄

Speaking of costs, not all airports have it, and it would still be limited to online places so hopefully the toll is not that big.

Exactly. While I can't speak of deputies from European vACCs, I can as amateur developer, enthusiast and IRL experienced guy - I believe we all are willing to help, if in any need.

// CC: @Jonas Kuster @Pierre Ferran@Dawid Reszel 😛

Edited by Mateusz Zymla
  • Haha 1

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338