You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Problems running with wine (standalone for EuroScope)

Jonas Eberle

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted (edited)

(Manjaro / wine 7.0-rc5)

After a successful install, the app crashes.

Here's the backtrace. I hope the module name (System.Security.Policy.PEFileEvidenceFactory?) are a hint to someone which part of the wine env is making problems here.

Unhandled Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED)
   at System.Security.Policy.PEFileEvidenceFactory.GetLocationEvidence(SafePEFileHandle peFile, SecurityZone& zone, StringHandleOnStack retUrl)
   at System.Security.Policy.PEFileEvidenceFactory.GenerateLocationEvidence()
   at System.Security.Policy.PEFileEvidenceFactory.GenerateEvidence(Type evidenceType)
   at System.Security.Policy.AssemblyEvidenceFactory.GenerateEvidence(Type evidenceType)
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.GenerateHostEvidence(Type type, Boolean hostCanGenerate)
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.GetHostEvidenceNoLock(Type type)
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.GetHostEvidence(Type type, Boolean markDelayEvaluatedEvidenceUsed)
   at System.Security.Policy.AppDomainEvidenceFactory.GenerateEvidence(Type evidenceType)
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.GenerateHostEvidence(Type type, Boolean hostCanGenerate)
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.GetHostEvidenceNoLock(Type type)
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.GetHostEvidence(Type type, Boolean markDelayEvaluatedEvidenceUsed)
   at System.Security.Policy.Evidence.GetHostEvidence[T]()
   at System.AppDomain.CheckDomainCreationEvidence(AppDomainSetup creationDomainSetup, Evidence creationEvidence)
   at System.AppDomain.InternalCreateDomain(String friendlyName, Evidence securityInfo, AppDomainSetup info)
   at System.AppDomain.CreateDomain(String friendlyName, Evidence securityInfo, AppDomainSetup info)
   at Ninject.Modules.AssemblyNameRetriever.CreateTemporaryAppDomain()
   at Ninject.Modules.AssemblyNameRetriever.GetAssemblyNames(IEnumerable`1 filenames, Predicate`1 filter)
   at Ninject.Modules.CompiledModuleLoaderPlugin.LoadModules(IEnumerable`1 filenames)
   at Ninject.Modules.ModuleLoader.LoadModules(IEnumerable`1 patterns)
   at Ninject.KernelBase.Load(IEnumerable`1 filePatterns)
   at Ninject.KernelBase..ctor(IComponentContainer components, INinjectSettings settings, INinjectModule[] modules)
   at Ninject.KernelBase..ctor(INinjectModule[] modules)
   at GeoVR.VATSIM.VATSIMClient.WinForms.Program.Main()

I had it running already. But seemingly without any conscious changes it does not start any more. Has there been an update to AfV maybe and it is trying to run a kind of online updater?

That's the last piece of the puzzle for an install script I am working on https://github.com/jonaseberle/euroscope-afv-wine

Edited by Jonas Eberle

• Jonas Eberle changed the title to Problems running with wine (standalone for EuroScope)
Cian Ormond
Posted
Posted

I ran it forty minutes ago before the servers went down for Velocity. In `winecfg`, what do you have AFV's Windows version set to? I have found it mandatory to run it as Windows 10.

Arch + NsCDE/XFCE

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Cian Ormond said:

I ran it forty minutes ago before the servers went down for Velocity. In `winecfg`, what do you have AFV's Windows version set to? I have found it mandatory to run it as Windows 10.

Arch + NsCDE/XFCE

We have set Win7 currently. I'll set up a test run with Win10.

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted
On 2/1/2022 at 8:16 AM, Jonas Eberle said:

We have set Win7 currently. I'll set up a test run with Win10.

Unfortunately that did not change the outcome.

I am trying to submit the app to the Wine AppDB https://appdb.winehq.org/ (currently in review).

I've understood now that `winetricks` is not officially supported by wine (since it replaces wine's libs) and that we should always test with vanilla wine in order to get support from WineHQ.

Cian Ormond
Posted
Posted

I must have something installed on winetricks. I'll get you a list when I get back home.

• Thanks 1

Pierre Ferran
Posted
Posted

I'm working on a native AFV client for macOs and Linux. It compiles and run on Ubuntu Focal and macOs Monterey (Apple Silicon). 

You can try to compile it yourself from source until I push a release if you wish:

https://github.com/pierr3/VectorAudio

I'll post back here when I have something from stable.

• Like 1

Cian Ormond
Posted
Posted
On 2/2/2022 at 8:03 AM, Cian Ormond said:

I must have something installed on winetricks. I'll get you a list when I get back home.

Jonas, sorry for the delay. Couldn't load X because I messed up my NVIDIA drivers - then I remembered I have Manjaro installed on another drive that shares the ~/ partition.

I have dotnet40, dotnet48, dotnetcoredesktop3 (pretty sure that's for something else), gdiplus and wsh57.

On 2/6/2022 at 4:02 AM, Pierre Ferran said:

I'm working on a native AFV client for macOs and Linux. It compiles and run on Ubuntu Focal and macOs Monterey (Apple Silicon). 

You can try to compile it yourself from source until I push a release if you wish:

I'll post back here when I have something from stable.

That sounds great! In the meantime, I'm writing a program to manage winetricks dependencies for vSTARS, vERAM and AFV. I have permission to include Swift, xPilot, vSTARS and vERAM, and I'll try to get permission for AFV soon. In the future, I could try ES and vatSys.

• Like 1

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted
On 2/6/2022 at 1:02 PM, Pierre Ferran said:

That would warrant a new thread already to improve visibility. Thank you for your efforts! I'll check it out tonight.

On 2/8/2022 at 12:45 AM, Cian Ormond said:

In the meantime, I'm writing a program to manage winetricks dependencies for vSTARS, vERAM and AFV. I have permission to include Swift, xPilot, vSTARS and vERAM, and I'll try to get permission for AFV soon. In the future, I could try ES and vatSys.

Would you want to join forces https://github.com/jonaseberle/euroscope-afv-wine/? It is currently stuck on the problem from the first post, though.

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 2/6/2022 at 1:02 PM, Pierre Ferran said:

Yeah, it works. Just quickly connected to try it and did a radio check. Global key binding works, too. That is really convenient!

image.png.b658297c923b4f1da6e341875b51e434.png

So the last thing I'll have to try is if that "RDF" functionality of the RDF/TopSky plugin is able to work with it.

And then I would just dump and forget Audio for VATSIM via wine.

Edited by Jonas Eberle

Pierre Ferran
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wrt to the RDF plugin/TopSky, there will be a need for those plugins to be updated in order to be compatible. The current integration relies on a Windows API which will not work cross platform. I am willing to build such an integration on the client side, but the plugins will still need to be updated.

If you are compiling yourself, please make sure you build the latest version of the repo as often as possible. I've released a package for macOs on GitHub which will also prompt when an update is necessary, but still need to do that for Linux.

In the future, this should also run on Windows fine!

A new thread dedicated to the software will come in due time :)

Edited by Pierre Ferran
  • Like 1

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

Thanks @Pierre Ferran for that information and your dedication. It is highly appreciated.

RDF: I can't even say if RDF ever worked with wine because it is so long that I had AfV working at all the last time.

I'll stop trying to make AfV work on wine. It feels like trying to get a 20 year old game running with zero chance to get hold of developers and no insight in the architecture. Basically I think this app is badly packaged but I wouldn't know who to ask to change it.

I've had a controlling session with VectorAudio and it went smoothly for 2hrs. It's obviously still work-in-progress. I'll continue to test and would already start filing issues if that's ok for you. And yes, spread the word and open a dedicated thread. People like me are eager to try it out.