You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

**New to VATSIM Community - Can I ask for HELP!?

Tomas Flannery 995437

Tomas Flannery 995437
Posted
Posted

Hi there:

I have recently ordered MSFS-X which should be arriving in the mail soon! I came across the VATSIM network and am REALLY interested in becoming a new virtual pilot. I'm specifically interested in having the capability to use live voice communcation with real time virtual controllers. I've spent the last two days looking around and reading various posts and links on vatsim.net/prc. I feel a little apprehensive about getting this to work. Will things make more sense once I actualy install and run MSFS-X and am sitting on a taxi way where I can open up the Vatsim control panel?

How do I get started? I've already DLed FSCoPilot and FSInn 1.2. I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming once I activate an active flighti I'll be able to connect to the sytem? Any special FIRST time instructions?

Tomas

"N441SP"

**Newbie =)

Brian Beach 915973
Posted
Posted

First of all, try connecting at a gate and/or designated parking position. Also, ask controllers for help if you need it!

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

The other good advice for first timers is to conduct your first few flights from an airport that is not busy and out of the way. Flying into or out of a very busy airport will mean that the controller is very busy and can't slow down to help you, and that you very likely will be sequenced in with a number of other flights, not allowing you to slow down to figure things out and/or resulting in the controller giving you instructions you may not understand.

When you get everything installed, find a spot on a cargo ramp at a busy airport, connect, and sit quietly and listen for a while. Put in a flight plan that says you are just observing, but be listening for your callsign in case the controller calls you to ask what your business is.

Welcome to VATSIM.

Victor Gomez 843194
Posted
Posted

You can try this great tutorial written by Tom Falanary, Oakland ARTCC ATM.

Best Regards,

Victor Gomez.

Atlanta ARTCC Instructor.

Victor Gomez 843194
Posted
Posted

Best Regards,

Victor Gomez.

Atlanta ARTCC Instructor.

Eduardo Passos
Posted
Posted

Hi, newcomer to VATSIM, after upgrading from FS8 to FS9, then ASv6, then RadarContact, then FSNav, then FS FlightKeeper. I'm very delighted to experience this new and top level of flying. So I've been reading everything about how to begin and so on.

I think that the best thing to do is to place my plane at a gate and listen to ops and get used with all terminology (as VATSIM recommends)

My doubt is if I should do this in an airport with heavy traffic since being from Brazil I think that I shouldn't get ATC online very frequently.

#2 > Can I place my plane in any airport served by VATSIM?

#3 > Is there any difference between flying VATSIM with FS9/FSX? Although I've both, SquawkBox3 works only with FS9 (yet).

Thanks for answers

Eduardo

Eduardo Passos

VATSIM Supervisor

VATBRZ Senior Controller

Eduardo Passos
Posted
Posted

Just after posting did I read post by Garry Morris about placing my plane in a busy airport and just listen how things are done

Other questions remain open

Thanks

Eduardo

Eduardo Passos

VATSIM Supervisor

VATBRZ Senior Controller

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

#2: Yes! As long as you are parked away from the taxiways and runways, you may certainly place your plane at any airport in the world. Use the program ServInfo to establish which fields are controlled.

#3: No difference other than the program that you are using (and the airport layouts may be a little different/updated). Some folks are using FSX now, but many are still using FS9. If you have a hot system and want to try VATSIM on FSX, you can connect with FSInn 1.2, an alternative to Squawkbox (but a little harder to set up).