You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Disconnect at cruise?

Alec Henderson

Alec Henderson
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I’ve read numerous topics that say to always disconnect when you will be stepping away from the sim. However, does VATSIM still count my hours flown? I feel like it’s not worth it to fly a long haul if I only end up with 45 minutes of flight time added to my account.

Tonight I’m planning to fly a long haul while I attend a dinner. I will be flying over some of the most rural areas on earth and I’ve never even seen ATC open there. Would I be ok to stay connected to get the hours, and just put in my notes I will be inactive at cruise in the off chance someone comes online? Or will I get suspended?

Alec Henderson

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

In short: no, it’s not OK, and you will be suspended if you are caught (and rightly so).

VATSIM is not a logbook - it is a service to allow pilots and controllers to come together and enjoy live ATC services. If you want to log your flight time there are other services and pieces of software that will do this for you (Volanta, for instance).

• Like 6

Vice President, Pilot Training

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Here's the long and short.  You might not understand why it's a big deal if YOU are away from your plane for an extended period.  But rules don't JUST apply to you.  Do you see why it would be untenable to allow EVERYONE to do it?

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

VATSIM is not a logbook.

• Like 5

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"