You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

"Authentication Failed: A task was canceled" upon connection attempt

• vpilot 3.2.0
  • p3dv5

Jeff Callender

Jeff Callender
Posted
Posted

About a third of the time, I get the above message when attempting to connect.  I can find no documentation or information about the error or the possible cause.  My ID and password are the same as I have had for many years and are correctly entered into the host and client.

Jeff Callender

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Igor Melnick

• SERGIO CAMPOS

• Jeff Callender

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 26 posts

• Igor Melnick

Igor Melnick 9 posts

• SERGIO CAMPOS

SERGIO CAMPOS 9 posts

• Jeff Callender

Jeff Callender 6 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 30 2022

9 posts

• Apr 10 2022

6 posts

• Feb 26 2022

5 posts

• Apr 11 2022

5 posts

Popular Posts

Igor Melnick

Dear Ross. How can you explain the fact that I can connect to the network using the SWIFT, but I can't using the vPilot. It turns out that the problem is not in Ipv6, windows, security programs, but i

Igor Melnick

I'm not writing here to swear, but to sort out the problem. As you saw, I tried all your advice, but the problem remained unresolved. My ISP does not use Ipv6, I have disabled all security programs an

Venkatesh Nagarajan

Adding more info here. Today I got the same authentication error. Just a hard reboot of my PC solved it. 

Posted Images

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

This is usually due to an IPv6 DNS issue. Can you go to ipv6-test.com and post the result here?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Jeff Callender
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

This is usually due to an IPv6 DNS issue. Can you go to ipv6-test.com and post the result here?

Here is the result....

image.thumb.png.c5df9415f4e12db5bc211b3160d8d92a.png

Jeff Callender
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

This is for the remote computer.

image.thumb.png.79f9ec905a3b720b860670d2c5cf3b8a.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm not quite sure how to interpret this ... it looks like you are able to get to DNS via IPv6, but you can't actually make an IPv6 web connection. (I'm referring to the host computer, which is the one that matters here, as that's the one that makes the connection to VATSIM's authentication server.) What does it say when you click on the button at top right just above the 13/20 score?

Jeff Callender
Posted
Posted

Ross, I don't think it's IPv6 related.  I am currently connect to the vatsim network with vPilot via remote connectioin and ipv6-test reports that I am not capable of ipv6 connections.

image.thumb.png.8bed6691eee855cc9babe3f5674f9afa.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The network connection does not use IPv6. Only the authentication does.

Jeff Callender
Posted
Posted

I don't know, I ran the ipv6-test almost immediately after connecting to the Vatsim network.  I've been using Vatsim since before it was Vatsim going back to the old SATCO days, so I have a fair understanding of the network and processes.  Are you saying that I was authenticated and then the IPv6 connection shut down leaving the IPv4 connection up?

Let me ask, when you say "authentication", is that authentication verifiying my ID and password or is it some deeper software level process authentication prior to the actual connection to Vatsim?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The authentication process changed recently. It uses an HTTPS connection to the VATSIM authentication server. This is completely separate from the network connection that vPilot and other clients use.

sam miles
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am having the exact same problem with the same message, connects maybe 50% of the time. If it doesn't work I have to completely restart my PC. Only happened since Velocity went live, never a single problem for 15 years before then haha. Has anyone had any luck solving this? 

I ran the test you suggested above after it did not connect and it said IPv6 was not supported. After restarting and connecting to the network succesfully, i ran it again and it said it was supported?!

Edited by sam miles

• 1 month later...
Igor Melnick
Posted
Posted (edited)

I can't log in to the Network at all. What's done: ipv6 is turned off, the router and computer have been rebooted multiple times, vpilot is added to all exceptions, auth.vatsim.net pinged. What else can I do?

AFV and ES works perfectly

ipv6no.jpg

vpilot.jpg

et.jpg

Edited by Igor Melnick

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Seems you've done everything you can ... I have no idea what might be blocking it.

Igor Melnick
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ross Carlson said:

Seems you've done everything you can ... I have no idea what might be blocking it.

I'm not the only one with this problem. In just one day at VATRUS, I received 3 such complaints. There are also such complaints on the VATSIM channel. Maybe you should consider returning everything as it was?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Igor Melnick said:

I'm not the only one with this problem. In just one day at VATRUS, I received 3 such complaints. There are also such complaints on the VATSIM channel. Maybe you should consider returning everything as it was?

Compare that against the tens of thousands of users not having an issue. I'm not saying it's not a real issue for you, but I am saying it's clearly not a systemic problem with vPilot or the VATSIM authentication system. And we shouldn't revert to the old insecure clear-text authentication system just because a small number of users are having connectivity issues with the authentication server.

Igor Melnick
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

And we shouldn't revert to the old insecure clear-text authentication system just because a small number of users are having connectivity issues with the authentication server.

Do I understand correctly that you will not investigate and fix this?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Igor Melnick said:

Do I understand correctly that you will not investigate and fix this?

I already have investigated. You already tried the suggestions that I have made for others. For whatever reason, those suggestions did not work for you. If I had other suggestions to help you fix your connectivity problem, I would provide them, but I don't.

Igor Melnick
Posted
Posted

I noticed a strange thing: I turned on the simulator and the vpilot, turned off the network and vpilot gave me the same error.  Could there be a mistake?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Igor Melnick said:

I noticed a strange thing: I turned on the simulator and the vpilot, turned off the network and vpilot gave me the same error.  Could there be a mistake?

What do you mean by mistake here?

Igor Melnick
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ross Carlson said:

What do you mean by mistake here?

I was thinking about the rules for incoming and outgoing connections in the windows firewall monitor, other windows policies and rules

Yuriy Kiselev
Posted
Posted

Hi! I confirm. I have exactly the same problem. Since yesterday, after repeated unsuccessful attempts, I have not been able to connect to the network. Please don't ignore the problem, solve it!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Yuriy Kiselev said:

Hi! I confirm. I have exactly the same problem. Since yesterday, after repeated unsuccessful attempts, I have not been able to connect to the network. Please don't ignore the problem, solve it!

I can say with a high degree of confidence that this is an issue on your end. It is for YOU to solve. Obviously, I can provide suggestions, which I have already done, but you can't just demand that I solve YOUR problem and expect that I will be able to do so.

If I were in your shoes, I would ask myself what changed yesterday, and think about how that might have caused your connection to start failing. If the only thing that changed was installing the new version of vPilot, then perhaps you have antivirus or firewall software that sees this new version and blocks it because it doesn't trust it. That's just one example of many things that could have changed in your system yesterday.

If that's not the case, then maybe something has changed with your network connection. If you've done all the steps I have suggested regarding IPv6 connectivity, maybe you should reach out to your ISP and ask them why IPv6 isn't working.

imagegear
Posted
Posted

I also have exactly the same problem since yesterday.

Leonardo Godefroy
Posted
Posted

I have the same issue now as well. Are we sure this isn't a Vatsim issue?

Juan Debesa
Posted
Posted

I am also having the same issue, last time I logged into VATSIM was 3 days ago and it was working flawlessly. This is a new problem. 

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Leonardo and Juan, please do the IPv6 test and post your results.

Edited by Ross Carlson