You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

xPilot on a twin-PC-operated Flight Simulator

Albert Welledits

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

Hi,
I am dealing with following problem, for which I have not yet found a solution:
My setup: Flight Simulator Cockpit with external cockpit panel, powered by two networking PCs. The master is connected to all instruments, controls and a super wide screen front view monitor plus the screens for GNS530 and 430 plus one more small screen for xPilot - all working perfect. PC #2 feeds the two side view monitors and has a copy of xPilot on board.

My problem: I can see all vatsim-generated traffic on the front view monitor, but don´t see any on the side view monitors

What did I already tried: 
1) running xPilot on the second PC with same login, as full working device or on listening mode -> the moment xPilot on #2 it kicks out xPilot on #1

Does anyone has an idea, how to see the traffic on #2 and its side views parallel to the master ??

Any input is highly appreciated,

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted (edited)

On Master xPilot enter command .visualip x.x.x.x with correct IP for the Slave.

Edited by Lauri Uusitalo
ACH2118.jpg

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

Thank you, what to at the slave? Start xPilot there and connect with the same ID and aircraft?

thank you for helping me 

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Albert, nice setup ... what is the row of knobs just above the yoke housing?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

Albert, nice setup ... what is the row of knobs just above the yoke housing?

thank you..
the row of knobs are the fuses....

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Albert Welledits said:

Thank you, what to at the slave? Start xPilot there and connect with the same ID and aircraft?

thank you for helping me 

Nothing on slave. Just have xpilot installed, no need to login or anything.

ACH2118.jpg

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

Ok, thank you, will try on the weekend. 
how to reverse the IP on the master in case it is not working?

kiitos

Albert

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

thank you so much

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

unfortunately this does not work on my setup. Once I entered .visualip 192.168.93.172 (the IP of the second machine for the side view monitors) xPilot freeze. The only way to shut it down is by use of the task manager, then uninstall and re-install....

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

What version of xPilot do you have installed?

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

I tried 22, 27 and 32, now I am using 22 only on master 

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Did you upgrade the xPilot plugin on your visual machine?

When you said the xPilot client freezed, what version was that?

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted

And it takes some time for the slave to load the plane and synchronize.

ACH2118.jpg

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

Had 22 on the visual machine, did not try the connection with 22/27 or 22/32, 32/22 and 27/22 does not work. 

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

Will try again today, it was recommended to roll back to 22 because of some other problems. For example 33 needs a fresh installation, updates don’t connect to x-plane. 33 does not recognize the Diamond DA40.

I guess, I will learn to stay blind left and right..

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted

I still have b21 (on both of course) and it works fine.

ACH2118.jpg

Stephan Buchmann
Posted
Posted (edited)

Albert, 
if you search in older posts you find some answers 😉
Im my case b26 on both machines, master and visual work nicely. All other versions before did not work. 
Did several complete flights without any issues. 
I did not update to newer versions yet on purpose. 
Good luck! 
Nice cockpit btw !!
s. 

IMG_2841.jpg

Edited by Stephan Buchmann

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

thank you

• 1 month later...
Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the compliments about my cockpit, even my flight instructors love it..

I am still stealing my time with xPilot. Aside the problem that I still don’t see VATSIM generated aircrafts on my side view visuals of the second PC, I am having troubles to get xPilot working at the master PC.

Version 34 does not connect with xPlane

Version 22 asks for downloading CLS aircraft model set, when say yes, it says there is an download error, cannot find the source. So I have to install bluebell manually. Having this done, xPilot 22 works fine on both PCs. The moment I do on the master .visualip 192.168.93.182 ( the ip of the slave for the side view screens), shut off xPilot and restart I get a mask with the question if I want to have the update downloaded, the moment I press yes or no, the xPilot mask gets white, I see the sand timer and freeze….. I waited for 5min, that is the longest scenery loading time and then I had to kill the App, uninstall and re-install….

Version 27 does not connect to xPlane on master, but does on slave.

having now 22 on both machines working; as soon one gets connected to network, the other one gets kicked out, understood, only one client with the same ID can be connected at a time.

I am extremely frustrated…

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted

On the slave, you do not log in using xpilot. You do not even start it, the plugin is enough.

Regarding your other issues I can not help.

ACH2118.jpg

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Albert, I think you're overcomplicating things for yourself here... I have tested the network setup many times without any issues. Make sure nothing is being blocked in your network firewall.

I would suggest you completely uninstall all instances of xPilot on all your machines and install the latest version. The X-Plane plugin version needs to be the same on all machines, otherwise things will not work.

As Lauri mentioned, there should only be one instance of the xPilot client running. Use the .visualip command to specify the IP addresses of your visual machine(s).

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

Thank you for getting back to me, just to recapitulate:

both machines need to have the same version.

.visualip (ip of slave) entered into xPilot of the master.

turning on xPilot on master but not at the slave, correct.

once again, I just need the vatsim generated traffic also visible on the side view screens connected to the slave. The xPilot mask I have at the master PC.

no need to run xPilot on the slave-correct????!

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

Kiitos Lauri, will try..

Albert Welledits
Posted
Posted

the moment you might think, problems are resolved, life teaches you different...

To have xPilot on both machines so that I can see vatsim-generated aircrafts in 180° of my cockpit, has been given up. Since I am dealing with the problem, that versions 32 and 34 dont work on my master (mode button flashes, unable to connect to x-plan and unable to connect to network, despite a clean installation) but do on my master, I was installing version 22.

and now it comes: I fly the Diamond DA40NG /SimSolutions/ and ATC tells me, my plane squaks with 0265 instead the set mode of 7000, dialed on the G1000 or the Propwash transponder, via dataref monitoring it is confirmed, 7000 is set but 0265 is transmitted.

I guess this must be a bug in version 22. This version I eliminated yesterday, tried a clean fresh installation of 34, did not work, but the 27 was successfully installed, but cannot verify, which code xpilot is transmitting....

weared...

is there any tool to see, what my transponder/xpilot is transmitting, ATC will get mad about me...